Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 month ago

Why does my teacher let me sleep in class? ?

lol 😂 most teachers smack my desk but he lets me sleep why? I appreciate it cause I am exhausted 😩 when that happens and can’t help myself but why? 

I've had a few teachers that let my classmates sleep in class: my 6th-grade math teacher, my freshman Spanish teacher, to name a few.  It's probably because the teacher has an attitude that if the student is tired, (s)he's not going to focus anyway, and (s)he's not going to learn whatever's being taught that day.  Thus, why bother?  I would guess that's the mentality.  Other teachers just don't care.  They just teach the day's lesson and that's it.  No rewards for good students, no punishment for bad students, no creativity in the lesson plan: just punch in, teach verbatim curriculum, punch out.

Either way, it's not a good idea to sleep in class.  You're likely missing important information that's gonna be on the test or an upcoming quiz.  If you don't do well on the test, you won't get a good grade in the class.  If you don't get good grades, you won't get a college scholarship.  If you get really bad grades, you won't even be admitted to college.  And these days, without a college degree, your employment options will be limited and so will your income.  For the sake of your future income, please get good grades.

I hate to say it, but sometimes a teacher just gives up on a student.  The way most teachers feel is if you fail their class then they've failed to teach you, but some students you just can't reach no matter how hard you try.  You've now become a lost cause and a waste of time, you teacher has other students who want to do well in that class to worry about.  

If you can talk with your teacher or a guidance counselor that would be a good place to start.  It also depends, do you have a job?  Do you have to stay up late to work on school assignments?  Are you playing on your phone late at night instead of sleeping?   It's important to address if you are getting enough sleep at night and if not, why.

Perhaps the teacher cannot be bothered to wake you up to pay attention when you are clearly not interested in the lecture. Maybe he understands your exhaustion so purposely ignores it. Or maybe he just hasn't noticed. 

The question is why are you so exhausted that the only place you can think of to sleep is in class? This will affect you later on when you are unable to recall anything that was taught in the class.

• zipper

When your asleep your not causing trouble in class.If your that tired you mite be wise to see a doctor, you may have a physical problem that they can help you with.

You have a non-confrontational, live and let live type of teacher.

Sounds like the teacher is letting you take responsibility for your own learning. If you are not prepared to put in the smallest amount of effort to pay attention in class it is fairly obvious you are setting yourself up to fail.  

• ?

Perhaps your teacher is tired of your attitude. If you don't care enough to stay awake in order to learn, then why should your teacher care?

maybe shes afraid to wake you up

maybe hes afraid to wake you up

• Nunya

When I got really high grades in the class, some of my teachers would let me sleep. When some teachers realized that I didn't care, they also gave up trying to make me care.