Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 weeks ago

Am I doing anything wrong?

I live in a leash law area, but I like to take my dog off-leash with me when I go to take the trash out. I have my own dumpster on my own property and we never go outside my property when I do this. My neighbor keeps telling me that since I don't have a fence around my property, my dog has to be on a leash. It is not required to have fence in your property where I live but he still harasses me to put my dog on a leash. My dog is very well behaved and silently patrols inside the property line doing her business. She never bothers anyone and always comes when I call. I think my neighbor just doesn't like dogs.

Both my dog and I are inside my private property the whole time. I did the research and nowhere does it say that my dog has to be on a leash inside my property.

My dog and I are outside for no more than 30 seconds and she has a fenced in backyard just not a fenced in front yard. I talked to police and AC and they said that I was doing nothing legally wrong.

• 1 week ago
    Best Answer

No, you are not doing anything wrong until or unless your dog leaves YOUR property which is PRIVATE.  The town does not OWN or control YOUR YARD.  The leash law only is in effect if/when your dog leaves your property.

Get a copy of the leash law (exactly as written) from Animal Control  or town hall, present it TO your neighbor.  Problem solved.

Of course,.." fences make good neighbors", as Robert Frost said, but also was said earlier, by Benjamin Franklin in his Poor Richards's Almanack.

• 1 week ago

No. You're doing your best.

• 1 week ago

No you are not doing anything wrong.

• Jojo
    1 week ago

However well behaved your dog is, all dogs can be unpredictable and if you have no fencing around your property a loose dog can cause anxiety in some nervous people. There is no 100% guarantee that one day your dog will stray off your property for some unforeseen reason and it really is your responsiblity and the law to 100% ensure this cannot happen. 

If you value your dog, then you SHOULD put a fence around your property. No good `shutting the stable door when the horse has bolted.` 

If I was your neighbour  and your dog was loose on your unfenced property and there was a chance it `could` stray onto MY property then I would also ask you to keep it on a leash, laws or not. Jmo. 

Be a responsible neighbour and fence your property off.....Problems solved.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years (UK)

She's right, you're wrong. Just because it's your property it's UNFENCED so you are breaking the leash law.

I hope she reports you to animal control because you sound like an immature, selfish a$$hole.

• What's so damn hypocritical about Zots is that if the neighbor was op complaining about the actual op, They'd tell them to mind their own damn business.

If you have no fence then your dog is not securely inside your property.  It can run off anytime it feels like it.  For the safety of your neighbors, local pets and wildlife and your dog, it should be on a leash.  

• Angel

We also have a leash law here and most of my dogs are kept in fence, however my working dogs are off leash to be able to chase in the stock, they also check property for strangers trespassing like trying to camp or hunt. They simply run home and bark until we follow them, hard to do when on leash. They are well trained and nwer go visiting the neighbors or never go running out on the highway which they easily could do. When I go into town with them they are on leash however.

If your dog stays on property and cannot be called off nor will it chase other dogs or wildlife off property then your most likley safe. Give your lisvesibg bureau a call and ask them for sure. Let them know you have a dog you let run on your property to exerceise while supervised and it's not fenced nor is the dog leashed. Also tell them the neighbor is bothered by it and threatens to call true police and as long as your dogs under your control on your property does it need to be leashed. In our county the working dogs are exempt, however the price for that is if the dog strays to another's property they have the right to shoot it,

you might be, so i would put a leash on him so you dont get into trouble

Nope, so long as your dog stays inside your property you are not obligated by law to have them on a leash. My neighbor used to bother me about this too so I talked to the police and Animal Control and they said that until the moment my dog steps out of my property, my dog has every right to be off leash.

Some really stupid people out there.

(And in here too.)

Source(s): A law-abiding citizen in a leash law area.

You live in an area with a leash law. There are reasons for leash laws. It does not matter, if your dog is well behaved or not. You need to follow the leash law, just like everyone else and keep your dog in a leash, not loose.

• E. H. Amos
      1 week agoReport

YOU OWN your property (not the town or city) and the leash law is not in effect, until or unless you or the pet LEAVE - said property.  I live in a leash law area & train my dogs off leash in my yard (viewable from the street & passing cops).

• Casey

Are you somehow exempt from the leash law? "my area has a leash law but i don't put my dog on a leash, am I doing something wrong?"  If another off-leash dog walks into your property and starts a fight BOTH you and the other owner could face consequences. It doesn't matter what your dog is well trained, leash law is a leash law. 

• Incorrect 
      Leash laws only apply in public areas. If another dog walks into their property and starts a fight, the owner of the trespassing dog is completely at fault. You must be the neighbor.