Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCruise Travel · 1 month ago

Do Japanese people work on cruise ships?

• 4 days ago

I don't know if they're Japanese but I see a lot of Asian-looking people who speak surprisingly good English and appear to live on the ship.

• james

It would be very few who did. Unless office work. Maybe a chef in the galley.  Many are Philippine. Known as the finest sailors in the world & the finest maritime schools in the world. 

According to the latest market reports from the Cruise Lines International ... A work culture that values long hours in the office, and typically frowns on long ... “People just don't take customary long holidays in Japan,” said Asai.

YES they can and do.

Are there vast huge numbers of them? NO

There are Japanese flagged cruise ships.

https://www.asukacruise.co.jp/news/29556/

• Den B7

No. Not a single Japanese person has ever worked in the cruise industry.

No. The standard of living is very good in Japan, and they are underpopulated, so there are plenty of good jobs there. The people on cruise ships mostly come from countries where the wages are very bad and there aren't many jobs. They work on 9 month contracts and send most of the money home to their families. 

They work everywhere they go.

I thought they mainly worked in micro electronics and reliable cars

i dont see why not

I would assume more then a couple do? Cruise ships, I assume, would hire anyone as long they're qualified.