How do you choose between 2 difficult choices ? Both have different negatives and positives. ?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • F
    Lv 6
    1 week ago

You mean like which idiot to vote for at an election?

• 1 week ago

Choosing the less negative.

• 1 week ago

I choose by trying to see all the factors, and trying to consider the likelihoods and consequences of all the possible outcomes. If I'm still stumped after that, I might flip a coin.

• 1 week ago

As Mike W says there are always positive & negative choices.

With this in mind I can give a recent choice that appeared here in Yahoo

news recently. A choice I firmly believe is choose-able ordinarily.

It is between "human nature" (= as philosophy) or "human nature" (=  as science).

Harvard & Columbia researchers made a case for "sarcasm" as Creative Thinking

in HUMAN NATURE.

So.. "in a series of experiments participants gave or received positive,

neutral or sarcastic responses with a partner. Those in the sarcastic groups performed better at creative tasks  like problem solving on paper - after

the fact."

And this "is because sarcasm construction and sarcasm interpretation

are constructive to abstract thinking, a key cognitive precursor to

creative thinking."

So a sarcastic comment aimed at someone wasting time in the workplace,

"Don't work too hard" has an intended meaning like "work harder"!

Here the speaker & recipient benefit because BOTH need to process

the underlying message. The speaker must translate the admonishment

to sarcasm, and the recipient has to consider what the speaker really meant.

That abstraction fosters creative thinking because creativity is needed

to discern the truth & NOT the literal meaning of the statement.

In this way to construct or interpret sarcasm is to traverse the psychological

distance between the stated & the intended meaning through abstract (&

creative thinking).^

^  2015   paper & PDF "Organisational behaviour & Human Decision

Processes/ Mental_Floss "5 Benefits of sarcasm

according to Science"  by Jake Rossen  4/11/2019.

Is the above a PHILOSOPHY or SCIENCE (psychology) question?

And so, does "creative thinking" reside more within philosophy or within

science (& psychology) in the above? 

Source(s): I have already answered this question here as an objective philosophy & critically rational choice (examples in my open User history).
    • peter m
      Lv 6
      1 week agoReport

That's ridiculous, & he should know - never has understood "critical thinking" in all the years I've been here - for him (& another here) ONCE A SUBJECTIVIST ALWAYS A (misguided) SUBJECTIVIST).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 week ago

Flip a coin .

• 1 week ago

gut instinct

toss a coin, when its in the air yourll know which you really want

ask others advice incase you missed a positive or negative you didnt think of

• P
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

Critical Thinking is an effective method of making choices. Go through the steps thoroughly one at a time before reaching a conclusion. There is loads of information available on how to do this

Always start by defining EXACTLY what the problem is, and have a clear idea of what you are trying to achieve and why

• small
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Being risk averse by nature, I would opt for the one with more acceptable set of negatives.

• Comparative analysis of the pros and cons.

• j153e
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

A general first step is to ensure your own consciousness or decision-making ability is clear, pure.  If not, indecision is increased proportionably.

Secondly, assuming you've the luxury of time to clarify your own self-awareness, and done so as best as possible (good-faith effort), write the positives and negatives of each choice on its own separate legal or regular size page:  a line down the middle of each of the two pages, listing + and -.

Thirdly, combine the two pages into one:  the results of your first two pages onto one page, a line down the middle, with the pros and cons of each alternative.

Sleep on it, if you can.

Perhaps consult others in person or online who've faced similar choices.

Related: 

Understanding Yourself by Mark Prophet.

• j153e
      Lv 7
      1 week agoReport

Thanks, more of an objective (noun) and dynamic (verb) analysis, like a Cartesian planar matrix; howbeit, the units of energy for SWAT in a Cartesian system have to be equal.  So perhaps listing items on +/- columns with degrees of dynamism (one, two, three, etc. stars)? 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.