eden asked in PetsReptiles · 1 month ago

my snakes tail is red! help!?

i have a female blue eyed leucistic ball python, she's not even a year old but she's already gotten pretty big. she will not miss one meal, poops and "pees" is normal. i went on vacation for 3 days and had my sister look after her, and during the time i was away, she shed. i had my sister mist the cage at least once a day since she was shedding (shes in a bin, not a glass terrarium). I feed her with calcium and D3 wit h her mice, as well as I clean the cage regularly. i did notice some poop in her cage when i got home from vacation and scooped it out, and was about to replace the substrate and clean her cage entirely, when i noticed her red tail. the tip is darker than the rest of her tail. her other belly scales aren't red, its just her tail. what is going on? ive never seen this before. my other snake is thriving in his cage. whats wrong with her?

• odd

It sounds like Tail rot from shed stuck on the tip of it. But I'm not a vet, so. . .

• Thea

It sounds like she has some retained skin from her last shed on her tail. It can be difficult to see on white snakes. That skin will constrict the blood flow to the tip and change the colour. Try soaking the area to loosen the old skin or apply some oil or vaseline to it. 

Snakes get all the calcium and vitamin D3 they need from the skeleton and liver of their prey. They don't need additional supplementation and you risk overdosing vitamin D3 which is a fat soluble vitamin and can reach toxic levels. If a pet store told you snakes need additional calcium/D3, they were uninformed or merely trying to sell more product.

• eden1 month agoReport

Thank you! I’m going to soak her in some lukewarm water and cut the calcium powder. I got some polysporin ointment for her, which was recommended by Snake Discovery on YouTube. If it gets worse, I’ll take her to a Herp vet. 

i would bring her to the vet and have them look at it

You know what that means.....