Would the Western Roman Empire Have Survived If It Had Not Been Overrun by the Christians?

The Christians overran Rome in 314.  Shortly thereafter, it was discovered that there was no such as a "Christian," but various competing groups who had different beliefs, and who attacked and persecuted each other.  They had several government inquiries (known as ecumenical councils) to settle such questions as (1) was Christ divine? (2)  did the Holy Spirit proceed from the Father and the Son or just the Father? (3) was it proper to call Mary the Mother of God and (4) did Christ have one nature or two?  In the meantime, the secular society went to pot and by 476, the Western Roman Empire collapsed.

Doesn't this provide a good example why we need to keep the Christians (especially the Trumpvangelical branch) from taking control of the U.S. Government?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It wasn't the massive number of Christians in the Empire that caused difficulties for it - just the political meddling of popes and bishops. Emperor Constantine issued an edict tolerating both Christianity and paganism in AD 313, so I guess you want to dump blame for what followed on to him. But the Edict of Milan helped bring those disparate groups into a more peaceful, tolerant relationship. Had he not done that, the Empire could have collapsed internally way back then. The Church councils dealt with spiritual differences within Catholicism, not political problems, though (granted) papal meddling did eventually lead to divisions of power within the Empire. Just don't try to blame Church councils for that.

On the contrary, Leo, Bishop of Rome from 440, persuaded Attila the Hun to turn back from Rome in 452 and later managed to minimize the damage done to the city when it was captured by the Vandal leader Gaiseric in 455.  This was the start of Roman bishops acting also a civil rulers. It wasn't all bad. These two interventions prevented the destruction of the Roman Empire at that time. Fancy that - a leading Christian is to be credited for that!

As your Q hints at, the Eastern Roman Empire (based on Constantinople) survived for a thousand years after the West fell (circa 476 when Odoacer deposed the last Roman Emperor in the West.) The two decades up till then were full of wars with the Vandals, puppet emperors set up and deposed at will by barbarian generals. Your Q is too vast and too vague to answer, for the answer is immensely complicated. Try asking it in the history section.

As for the present political situation in America, that is due to people having a democratic vote but a corrupt tallying system that both the religious and the irreligious support in order to swing things their way. Here in Britain, things are manipulated to ensure there’s only ever a two-horse race at elections. Individual votes are almost useless these days. It’s those with the most money who are most likely to have the greatest influence in politics. Surely you know that?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • sarah
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The bible prophecy was that after the death of the apostles the great falling away would occur. Which it did and Rome was very wicked the super rich took over the killed people in arena's just to watch them die. They fed the Christians to the lions. One especially wicked community was Pompeii and the wind shifted and when the volcano blew it killed them all. The next day they planned on killing the last of the Christians. They were so sexually deviant. They were all killed in one day. They deserved to die. Some say if they had not died we would have never existed this long because anal and oral sex was so rampant that virus and germs would have destroyed the human race.

• Rico
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

The tribes that overran the western Roman Empire were pagan tribes. 

• Doug
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

You seem to have a few things all mixed up. Suggested reading: "How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization" by Thomas E. Woods.

Source(s): www.askmeaboutgod.org
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Once you go Christian your entire focus is ancillary to dogma. Science and philosophy come to a halt. It wasn't to the beginning of the scientific revolution (16th ct) that progress could be made.

Who really wants to talk about fictional problems, as faced in the ecumenical councils, when human suffering (NO MEDICAL SCIENCE) and the state of the economy and its politics are far more important

. Most Christians have no creed for dealing with the realities of the human condition. "Forgiveness" is sold, but poverty runs rampant, and "riches" are and were hoarded.

Did the Roman emperor really collapse, or just transform? Sure there was a loss of unification of the empire, but something became of it. What ever did become of it, it was turned into that state by Christianization. 

I was wondering tonight what the Arabic world believed in before Islam. Apparently, I need to do some research. Then you ask this question, and I realize I still know so little (with all my reading of history books). :)

• 8 months ago

I haven't finished Gibbon's yet, so would not be able to give an adequate answer.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

They have already taken control. Trump has seated about 140 Christian conservative judges.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Link to this.  I don't think so.

There certainly WAS Christian and no groups yet.  I think Constantine was in that time.  Collapse had nothing to do AT ALL with Christianity. 

Read history or post this IN HISTORY. 

You almost had Sharia law, Islam in the White House, Islam running things.

Trust me, that's much worse.

Go look at their countries! 

There's far right.  NOT BIBLICAL.

And you can't correct it either. 

Far right, far left both are bad

• 8 months ago

They did not over run them, there was no battle.  They became Christian

• ...Show all comments
    • Annsan_In_Him
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

The Q is about survival of the Roman Empire, which has little to do with internal religious, doctrinal disagreements and how Catholics dealt with them. The 'Holy' Roman Empire was crushed by Napoleon, centuries after non-Catholic armies had crushed the political Roman Empire/Emperor in 476.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

That is an excellent example of why one should never, ever mix politics with religion.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.