Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 month ago

I am 67 on Medicare Part A&B. I pay $135.00 taken out of my soc sec.for Part B then why should I get a supplemental insurance.?

especially when .I never go see a doctor and never will take drugs

• B

don't. then when you get a doctor bill covering only 80%, you pay the 20%.

personally  the plan f high deductible about $55 a month supplemental looks good

• Flower

The supplement plan or Medigap insurance pays that 20-30% of the cost for services that Medicare does NOT pay. Even if you have an injury and dont get sick, and need surgery that costs $10K, you are liable for 20% or more. The drugs is Part D, and you must buy a drug plan unless you are prepared to pay full price if you ever need medication. I daresay you are lucky at 67 not to have physical problems but it may happen.

The real question is, if you're never going to see a doctor or take drugs, why in the world are you paying for Part B?  That's silly! 

Whatever reason you're paying for part B, is the same reason you should get a supplemental plan. 

It's best to choose the best of insurance planning on if something happens you will be covered well. You don't have to get a supplemental insurance, but if something majors happens you'll be stuck with paying 20% of the bill. I wouldn't want to take that chance. You can always get an advantage plan with 0 premium payments, although you will have co pays & a pretty steep deductible if something happens. If you stay healthy, and none of us do, then you will for sure save money.

Because eventually you will need to go to a hospital for something, and it will cost you a lot if you don't have supplemental insurance.

Never say never. Medicare covers 80% of certain things, and some things they don't cover. If you don't also have Part D, then you have no prescription coverage.

Part C, aka 'Medicare Advantage' plans, are not supplemental insurance. They REPLACE Medicare. You must have Part B, and be enrolled in Part D or been in a qualified employer plan at the time you became eligible for Part D, to get the prescription coverage under one of these plans. Many plans have zero monthly premiums and some have no-cost Tier 1 drug coverage.

So if you only go to the doctor a couple of times a year and you take a couple of the routine blood pressure, cholesterol and some other medicines, you might spend $30 a year out of pocket on top of your monthly Medicare premium.

• martin

It's true that you can wait a while because you're basically pretty healthy. However, in the end, it's good to have that Medicare Plus kind of policy that uses your Social Security deduction to pay for a private policy with a reputable local health insurance company. Have the Medicare and the private company's premiums both taken out of your Social Security, and you'll never miss it. It's like a bargain and you'll have good coverage, same as private coverage. Medicare alone can be pretty weak.

"especially when .I never go see a doctor and never will take drugs"

Famous last words. Get an advance directive in order so that your wishes are known (if you don't already have one).

Don't then.  It's your choice.