Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 2 weeks ago

Selling your Products at a Retail Store?

Instead of selling my products to a retail store I would instead have my products sold, where the store owner would charge a fee for selling my product and I keep the rest of the profit. Could it be done this way also?

Best Answer

Absolutely.  Either you sell your products to the store at wholesale prices (they make profit on the difference) or you could setup some sort on consignment (which I wouldnt recommend).  

Consignment is what you are asking about and this doesnt work in most cases.  There are consignment boutiques for second hand clothing and whatnot, but your idea is a nightmare from an inventory and accounting perspective.  So, you sell to the owners wholesale. 

A few issues...what kinds of products?  Do you have product liability insurance?  Are we talking about legit businesses or more like bodegas...? 

• Saul2 weeks agoReport

My mother owns a salon. I've been selling on Amazon and eBay and I was planning on selling beauty products I sell online, in my mother's salon, through consignment. I purchase wholesale.

I'll have to look more into this and liability insurance. I've gained a better understanding now

There's only two ways to sell through someone else's store -- you sell them outright to them, or you put it in as a commission item.

yes you can do it

Yes, it is called "Consignment".

If this is going to be your primary income, Before you consider this, do you have Product Liability Insurance

• Eva

Smaller, privately owned shops will sometimes take things on consignment. Big box stores will not.

This is how it works. If they sell it for $10 you sell it to the store for $5. They pay you after it sells.