promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Installing an OS on a blank new ssd?

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a new SSD for my HP desktop. I want to install Windows 7 (any version is fine), but when I boot from the OS disk my peripherals will not work. My mouse and keyboard stop working when I attempt to install the OS. The peripherals are not installed on the HP. How else can I install an OS on the new SSD?

Thanks in advance

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

this question feels strange because this problem shouldn't be happening.. the U in USB ensures that basic things like a keyboard would work right from the box..

i have more plausible 3-4 explanations:

- give it time.. whenever you install from a CD, the installer takes few long moments to prepare.. this appears as a blank black screen from the moment you press on on the PC.. just leave it a good 5 minutes and hope that you would get that sweet installer screen.. (assuming that the CD/DVD is not scratched nor damaged)..

- the CD ROM is not set to boot.. when you switch on the PC, go to the BIOS setup and set the CD-ROM on the boot.. to get to the BIOS setup screen/menu, press 'DEL' or 'F1' when you start the PC - unfortunately different PCs have different ways to get into the BIOS setup, but make sure that the CD-ROM is in the first bootable list before the harddrive..

- your installation CD is corrupt; this happens FAR more times than a keyboard is not respond.. this is why Microsoft offers Windows10 installation using USB thumbdrive instead of the less reliable CD or DVD.. i stopped using CDs/DVDs in installing anything because of that common problem..if you switch on the PC and you are able to go to the BIOS setup screen, it means that the keyboard is fine and that the problem is with the CD itself - again, this happens far too often..

- power insufficiency.. highly unlikely, because usually the screen turns dark and often refuse to boot at all.. if you simply unplugged the old harddisk and put the SSD in its place, it should not be a problem..if your PSU power supply unit is small (let's say 400W) and adding an additional hardware to increase the power consumption over 401W.. the PSU shuts down and often unable to provide enough power for everything...

to be honest, i am more inclined to the 3rd scenario than anything else, and 4th scenario only happened to me once in the last 10 years.. otherwise, you may need to bring the PC to the repairs..all the best..

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 5 months ago

your bios needs to be switched out of uefi mode. *** warning if your pc came with windows 10 it may NOT be compatible with previous OS installs. for example the sound device may only have w10 drivers and same goes for wifi lan etc *** once out of uefi mode you can then set other options such as enabling legacy usb devices ie keyboards etc.typically you should be able to tap the f9/f10/f11/f12 (which ever hp decided to program for that feature), to intercept and select a different boot device eg USB stick with w7 install on it. The OS install process will partition the disk as part of the install.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Was this laptop running a Windows 10 before? Machines built after 2017 can only work with Windows 10. Older hardware will run with Windows 7 or higher, but there is no support for newer machines on Windows 7. You can only install Windows 10 on the machine if it's a newer machine.

• David
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

If the computer is relatively new and came with Windows 8 or 10 it is possible that windows 7 doesn't have the necessary drivers, update your post with model Number of HP and we can check

Alternatively if you still have the old HDD you could clone the old hard drive to the new SSD using Macrium Reflect, Easeus Todo etc

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Check your BIOS / EFI setup for an option labeled "Legacy USB Support." This should allow you to use your keyboard and mouse early in the setup process, before Windows loads its own drivers.

• 5 months ago

go to the windows site and download an access key onto a usb then boot off the usb and then change the bois setting on your next boot to the ssd

• 5 months ago

A genuine windows on DVD onto a boot formatted SSD should be zero problems.

Install from USB should be the same. Network install can be finicky.

Did your machine ever run on the same OS?? First thing a clean install does is analyze your machine and installs the needed drivers from the install source.

If this is just an upgrade version, this isn't in the install package, you need the complete Win 7 install.

• Lv 7
    5 months ago

try not to use any USB hubs or splitters.

also, you need to plug into a NON-USB3 port, else you need USB3 drivers slipstreamed into the Windows disc.

if not, may be time to take to a repair shop...

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

First off, google the issues with installing windows 7 from disk onto an SSD (I've done this, but I chose the easier route of installing from an existing version of windows [10]) then removing that version.

Chances are that even if your peripherals were working you wouldn't be able to install because the default installer doesn't have the drivers for the SSD slipstreamed into it.

Source(s): In either case, it is much easier to install windows 7 from a working windows installation. So might want to look into that.
    • daniel g
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

SSD should be compliant and generic derives work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.