ramborachus asked in PetsReptiles · 1 month ago

How many turtles do you really think anyone has saved with straw bans?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't think straws kill turtles, it is the larger plastic objects that the turtles can get caught up in that kill them

• Darby
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

While I agree that plastic bags are a much bigger threat to sea turtles than plastic straws, this video of a straw being removed from a turtle's nose brought me to tears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wH878t78bw

Youtube thumbnail

We only know about the damage plastic straws cause to turtles because someone was able to capture this extraction on video.  How many more are there that we don't see?

• Its the only documented case of that happening and after it going viral everyone freaked out.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Christopher is right. It is plastic bags that kill sea turtles. They are so nearsighted that they mistake them for jellyfish and the bags impact their intestines, killing them.

• Susie
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If people would just be responsible and pick up after themselves. Liberal marches and protests have left tons of garbage and costs cities millions to pick up afterwards.  Even school children walking to and standing at bus stops simply their drop their drink bottles and food wrappers on the ground. When is someone going to speak out against this??  Environmental issues have become a political tool and no one actually cares about it anymore.   Teaching individual responsibility should the first step. 

• Individual responsibility is a core belief of conservative teaching. Start from within. ;) I agree peopel need to pick up trash.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • KaleyK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Probably zero.  Right after the San Francisco straw ban went in to effect, sales of plastic straws at grocery and other retail stores in the area soared.  If the restaurant or bar cannot provide the straw, people will provide their own.  Typical of SF, they think they are saving the world when in fact they are accomplishing nothing. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Even just one is enough for me.  And straws aren't banned.  Plastic straws are.  Paper ones aren't.  And you can hardly tell the difference.  You'd know that if you were in an area where plastic straws are banned and actually knew what you were talking about and not just spouting buIIshit out your mouth like its a goddamn fire hydrant.

• WE don't throw our trash in the ocean over here. And the #1 killer in the ocean is plastic bags.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.