Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 1 month ago

Should I break up with selfish fiancé?

I’m engaged. I’ve found my dream honeymoon. I told my fiancé to book it. But he refused. His mum has cancer and he wants to get married before she dies so she can be there. But he’s refusing to go on honeymoon and leave her. I’m devastated. I can’t stop crying. He’s destroyed my dream. He’s ruined this wedding for me. I’m considering leaving him. I’m not sure I can marry a man who’s so selfish that he can’t give his wife her dream wedding. What should I do? Do you think I can convince him to change his mind?

• Alan H

As you are so insensitive, move on.

He needs support, not carping criticism 

Lol, I'm hoping you're a troll. The only selfish person in this situation is you. His mom has cancer - she probably needs all the money and support she can get. You two can always postpone the wedding/honeymoon until everything is settled, that way, he can spend time with his mom, and you'd get to go on your dream honeymoon. If you're considering breaking up with him, then you are definitely doing him a favor and you don't deserve him. 

Breaking up with him would be the greatest gift you could ever give. You aren't ready to be married. 

Base on your thinking about marriage you are definately not ready for marriage.  Going into marriage you need to look out for the interests of your marriage mate. (Philippians 2:3, 4) Treat your mate as precious, remembering that God requires his servants to be “gentle toward all.” (2 Timothy 2:24) You can have your honeymoon another time. Think about if the role were reverse and your mom had cancer and he want you to go party instead of you caring for your Mother in her final days. How would you feel about him. If you Guys truely love each then this is a small issue that should not cause a problem and if you don' t know how to make compromises now its only going to get harder when you get married.

• Caz

I'm not sure how you got from "he doesn't want to travel too far from his dying mother" to "selfish".

• GB

Maybe one  day, you will be in his mother's  position. I hope you  will tell your   son or daughter , 'Of course you should go on the honeymoon your  partner wants.  It would be selfish to refuse, just because  I am terminally ill. Even if I get worse while you are away, you should not curtail your holiday.'

• Kelly

I wouldn't ask my husband to go on vacation with me while his mom was battling cancer.  I wouldn't have done that for my honeymoon either.  We can pretty much go on a trip anytime... his mom (or any other family member) will only have their final moments once.

You're selfish AF and he can do better than you.   

Though I'm suspecting that this question is fake AF too.

I’m going to be real honest with you. It sounds like you’re ready for marriage, but not ready to be married. Lots and lots of things come with marriage and a BIG one is compromise. There are far more important things than a honeymoon... and that can wait. How awful would you feel if something happened to her while you guys were away... don’t be selfish, he is losing his mother. Understand that he has a limited time with her. 

I don't honestly think that he's a selfish fiancee. I think you're a selfish woman. The poor guy's mother is dying with cancer and he wishes to be here for her. Grow up and get on with life.

Yes breakup because you're the selfish one his mother is going to die and you just think about you