Why is healthcare so dishonest and expensive in America?

It's ridiculous. I was charged $290 for an X-Ray and then another $290 for someone to READ that X-Ray.

Right now I have an ingrown toenail and I would never in a million years seek treatment, even if I had insurance because they "don't cover" everything. And the doctor won't tell you if something is or isn't cover.

AND clinics always charge you a $50 "copay" if you "sign in." I await the day when you'll be charged $100 for breathing air in a clinic.

Why is American healthcare so expensive? How did we let this happen, exactly?

*is or isn't covered

*I would never seek treatment from a doctor, I will self-treat instead

I meant I will never seek treatment from a doctor regarding the ingrown toenail or anything else minor, obviously something more serious or an emergency would require a doctor's care

• Edna

It costs for an X-ray tech to take an X-ray, and it costs for a radiologist to read and interpret the X-ray. Those people have to be paid for their services. 

No doctor can tell you how much of his fee your insurance is or isn't going to pay or how much treatment  going to cost you. He doesn't know. That's up to the terms of your individual policy and your insurance company. All your doctor can tell you is how  much he changes for an office visit.   

Almost every health insurance company charges a co-pay whenever you visit a doctor. The amount of your  co-pay is stated in your individual policy.  

Health care in the US isn't "dishonest". If it's expensive, it's because we (thankfully) don't have socialized medicine in this country.  No health insurance plan covers "everything". What they cover and the amount of your co-pay and deductibles are stated in your individual policy. If you don't like it, then shop around for a different health care provider whose terms you might like better.

< And the doctor won't tell you if something is or isn't cover. >

In all fairness, the doctor can't possibly keep up with the ins and outs of YOUR insurance plan.  

• Lili
      4 weeks agoReport

Before you make a visit to a doctor, you need to call your insurance company if you're uncertain about coverage.  A problem arises with ER visits, when you may not be able to ask if a doctor accepts your insurance or if something is covered.  My husband and I got socked with thousands in bills.

• Byrd

Obviously your policy has a $50 copay. Not everyone does. Why do you think your I insurance should pay 100%? If you don't like your policy buy a different one.

• Lili
      4 weeks agoReport

You can't always buy new insurance. You may be stuck with whatever your employer offers. And yes, if you're paying hefty premiums, your coverage SHOULD pay 100%.  I shouldn't have had to pay almost $8000 last year for surgeries my husband and I had, not when we have a gold plan.

• Pippin

It is routine for providers to "charge" 2-10 times what a service costs, and that's what they submit to your insurance. The company then "negotiates" it down to a realistic figure, and that's what you and/or your insurance company is actually boomerang pays.

If you are uninsured for some reason, it's often possible to negotiate the charge, especially if you pay upfront.

(And keep in mind that even if you haven't met your insurance deductable, you still benefit from insurance-standard charges.

Good luck "self-treating" after a car wreck or a cancer diagnosis.

• Xavier1 month agoReport

Subsidies have the opposite effect in every industry, with the only beneficiaries being the insurance companies.

Eat the booboo. Drink the TT

• Susie

Wait until we get universal healthcare.  Every time they implement more government healthcare the medical costs skyrocket.  They have since Obamacare and more and more don’t have insurance. What do you expect when government program  fraud is rampant. 

• Xavier4 weeks agoReport

No, I'm trying to explain how costs rise. If we had a healthier healthcare market then most providers would happily extend to patients with pre-existing conditions at a low cost.

• Linda

Dishonesty is rampant in this country and it is not just in the health care industry. I got charged $4,000 for a ct abdominal scan that I didn't order. Until consumers complain about it and join together, nothing will change. Too many people feel powerless to change things and just stay silent.

• Edna
      4 weeks agoReport

$4000 sounds about right for an in-depth abdominal scan. SOMEONE has to run the machine that does the scan. The "someone" has gone to school for yrs. to learn to operate the machine & he deserves to be paid for his expertise. Don't forget the cost of just providing the machine to run the scan.