Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 weeks ago

Is British accent real ?

Best Answer

I don't know what your very vague question means, but I'll take the opportunity anyway to say that there IS a specific British "sound", which any American can recognise as such.

There IS also a specific American "sound", which any British person can recognise. I don't know how to define it, but I know that until I started meeting a lot of Americans, I could distinguish only a generic American "accent".

Even now, after years of travelling in the US and meeting many, many Americans, I'm confident of recognising only the most obvious, exaggerated ones, like Texan or Californian.

To my ears, as to most British ears, the majority of different American accents sound just "American".

Please accept that this generic accent does exist. Clearly it's not a SPECIFIC accent, but somehow, whether the speaker is from Manchester or Aberdeen, there is SOMETHING that an American hears as simply, generally, "British".

They are a large number of accents in the UK.

If you mean received pronunciation or 'RP' like you hear BBC anchors speaking, then no, it isn't real. It's a purely constructed and cultivated accent like the old 'Mid-Atlantic' accent American actors used in the 40s. RP became most well-known in the 1920s by BBC adopting it to make sure their radio (at the time) and later Television personalities did not sound 'local' or 'common' it was a concerted effort by John Reith to have his employees not sound boorish. Class consciousness has always been an important and for some a sore topic for the British. They've cultivated their accent over many years, even centuries, to sound more posh in an attempt to emulate their Lords and Ladies. Even their lack of rhoticity (not pronouncing 'r's after vowels as in water/watah) was an invention of Britain that was trying to emulate the highest of royalty found in London, and was included in RP when it first began some use in the 18th century. This is why you see rhoticity maintained in the United States, Canada, and the parts of the United Kingdom that were having none of the socially obsequent's nonsense. While parts of the commonwealth that were formed after the 18th century and the parts of the United Kingdom that wanted to pretend to be posh adopted the affectation. 

That all being said, the United Kingdom and even Britain in particular is rich with genuine accents of beautiful and emphatic passion. Once you get past the façade of RP, you'll find a wealth of genuine and interesting accents in Britain.

No, all the Brits make them up as they go along.

??????????????????

Of course.

Often, even small languages have accents.

• jimmy

LOL. There are loads of different British accents, just like there are different American accents.

Yes it was formed in the late 1700s after United States declared independence.

That depends.

Britain is actually England And Wales, so therefore the Welsh Accent is also British, as it Scouse and Geordie.

• Lôn

WHICH British accent?? Not counting Wales and Scotland, England alone has many very different accents,

Scouse, Brummie, Geordie, Cockney...to name just a few.

There is no such thing as THE British accent.

• Kaz

If you're British, yes.