A&P Mechanics... If you are also the owner/operator of an aircraft...can you do your own overhauls?

Is this illegal?  Or just an ethical issue, sort of a conflict of interest?  I have an A&P certificate and I'd love to build and own a Van's RV-10 some day.  If it's worth anything else, I'm also a technician employed by Lycoming Engines, and I have factory experience building and troubleshooting several models.  If I can save a substantial amount of money (labor) by performing my own overhaul...am I legally able to do this?

• 5 days ago

I agree with the people who actually know what they're talking about already posted: If you WERE actually a licensed A&P mechanic, you'd already know the answer to your "question".

I call BLOWFISH!

There is no legal reason why you can't do your own maintenance if you have the necessary qualifications to do the work.

If you have an A&P certificate AND you actually do the overhauls per standards AND do the proper documentation then there is no problem. All three conditions have to be met. But if you try to cut corners to save some money, then you got a problem.

WOW! One of the most important areas of any airman’s certificate is knowing the law and applicable regulations associated with your certificate. You seem to be ignorant of the most basic regulations of ANY airman’s certificate.

• Conservative
      1 month agoReport

Conservative
      2 mins ago
      Anon, you are posting from a position of total ignorance. Give it up, you a moron and a troll. Go on back to politics and troll on!

• If you were an actual A&P mechanic you would already know the answer.

If you have A & P license, yes.

Just  because you are owner, No. Can only do certain maintenance, oil changes, etc., 

• JetDoc

If you WERE actually a licensed A&P mechanic, you'd already know the answer to your "question"! Of course, since an RV-10 is a homebuilt airplane, and would be registered in the "experimental" category, you don't NEED to be a certified mechanic to build or maintain it.

• rick
      1 month agoReport

Carolina FB. The A&P test included FARs. How did you pass??