A&P Mechanics... If you are also the owner/operator of an aircraft...can you do your own overhauls?

Is this illegal?  Or just an ethical issue, sort of a conflict of interest?  I have an A&P certificate and I'd love to build and own a Van's RV-10 some day.  If it's worth anything else, I'm also a technician employed by Lycoming Engines, and I have factory experience building and troubleshooting several models.  If I can save a substantial amount of money (labor) by performing my own overhaul...am I legally able to do this?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 days ago

I agree with the people who actually know what they're talking about already posted: If you WERE actually a licensed A&P mechanic, you'd already know the answer to your "question".

I call BLOWFISH!

Attachment image
  • 4 weeks ago

There is no legal reason why you can't do your own maintenance if you have the necessary qualifications to do the work.

• 1 month ago

If you have an A&P certificate AND you actually do the overhauls per standards AND do the proper documentation then there is no problem. All three conditions have to be met. But if you try to cut corners to save some money, then you got a problem.

• 1 month ago

WOW! One of the most important areas of any airman’s certificate is knowing the law and applicable regulations associated with your certificate. You seem to be ignorant of the most basic regulations of ANY airman’s certificate.

• Conservative
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Conservative
      Lv 7
      2 mins ago
      Anon, you are posting from a position of total ignorance. Give it up, you a moron and a troll. Go on back to politics and troll on!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • If you were an actual A&P mechanic you would already know the answer.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you have A & P license, yes.

Just  because you are owner, No. Can only do certain maintenance, oil changes, etc., 

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you WERE actually a licensed A&P mechanic, you'd already know the answer to your "question"! Of course, since an RV-10 is a homebuilt airplane, and would be registered in the "experimental" category, you don't NEED to be a certified mechanic to build or maintain it.

• rick
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Carolina FB. The A&P test included FARs. How did you pass??

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.