Is It Weird For an Adult Guy to Collect Disney?

I'm 34 and still enjoy Disney. I grew up watching the movies/cartoons and in high school particularly realized Stitch was my all-time favorite character. Thus I have started to build my "fan shelf" of Stitch memorabilia and have my collection of various Disney t-shirts from WDW trips. 

Is it weird for a guy my age to be into this? No I'm not going to go around hugging plush Stitch's and cuddling up with stuff Stitch toys at night. I'm not THAT extreme. lol

But to just keep a shelf of Stitch items and Disney shirts, etc. Is that weird for my age? Are there other adult males like me that enjoy Disney and time in the parks (yes I've taken a solo trip to WDW before).

Why Stitch? you say.........1) he's sloppy and crazy....2) he just enjoys life....3) he has a personality I'd say matches my own in many ways! (no I'm not going to go licking random stuff and causing chaos, but you get the point)

Favorite Answer

Well, it wasn't weird for a middle-aged guy named Walt Disney to create it, was it?

• Jonboy1 month agoReport

That is a good point! He was in his 30's when he got his start in Kansas City if I recall my history right. 

It's what makes you happy so it shouldn't matter what people think. I'm 60yr old woman and collect small Winnie the Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, Eeyore ect figurines. It's what makes me happy. 

• Jerry

"Oh good! My dog found the chainsaw!"

Lots of adults collect Disney stuff, Felix the Cat stuff, Rocky & Bullwinkle stuff. No different from collecting Downton Abbey stuff or NASCAR stuff. 

I've a big collection of model airplanes. I'm in no position to judge.

• DEBS

It's weird to for anyone older than 13 to collect disney things unless the goal is to make money off of it in the future. (Then they're just wrong.)

Thank you, everyone. I just wanted to get some other opinions out there. It's amazing what Walt created, because:

1) it promotes one of the most important values to us: family

2) it unlocks the "kid" in us that we put away when faced with reality

3) it gives us that sense of enjoyment in life that can often allude us

I think it's interesting too how we associate with a favorite character, usually due to how they match our own personality.

Like I said I don't go to the extreme of snuggling with plush/stuffed characters. That's a little much for me, but I am assembling my "fan shelf" if you will. lol I've enjoyed multiple trips to WDW with family and solo. Also enjoyed the films and cartoons when I was younger and still find myself looking up a Disney cartoon on YouTube every once in a while when needing a pick-me-up after a hard day.

• Mark

I collect Disneyania and am 60. I love Gravity Falls items.

• martin

It's rare, but not weird. Disney shows have broad appeal among people of all ages and all intellectual status.

No, there are rabid disney fans of all sexes and ages. I just came back from Orlando, and half the guys there were in ears and Mickey clothing!

i dont think so

doesn't everyone have his own guilty pleasure