Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 weeks ago

Writing my entire novel on a typewriter....?

Is there some way I can scan the writing in onto a computer when the time comes? I'm guessing not. It's not an issue as I'm going to have more than one draft, but if there is I'll type my final draft on the typewriter too and scan it in.

Update:

Scan it in so that the text can be copy/pasted into a word document, or similar.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 days ago

You can but you need a scanner with OCR (optical character recognition) software. It's been my experience that OCR doesn't work too well. Your scanned sheets have to be flawless and have no stray marks or wrinkles in it and at that it still won't be a perfect scan. You'll get a text copy that will still need correcting. OCR won't scan into Word format.

• 2 weeks ago

theres a app for that on google play store

• 2 weeks ago

What the question?

• 2 weeks ago

That should work. Test OneNote on a page and see what it picks up.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 weeks ago

You can scan your writing, scan it, then run it through an OCR (optical character reader) and it will convert the scan into digital text such as generated in "Word". That is, however, pretty time consuming and it usually requires a fair amount of editing. It's not worth it, just write it on a computer using word processing software like Word.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

I suppose you don't have access to word processing software, so you can't type your drafts to the screen instead of to paper.

Well, if scanners have Optical Character Recognition software now, then you can scan it.

• 2 weeks ago

Well that sounds like a project to remember

• 2 weeks ago

That's what OCR is for, But even the best OCR programs are only about 99% effective, which means lots of proof reading to ensure the draft is reasonably correct (and if you haven't noticed, even professional proof reading in PUBLISHED novels is not always 100% correct)

• 2 weeks ago

Yes, OCR (optical character recognition) has been around for a couple of decades and it works pretty good.

• 2 weeks ago

Yes... using a scanner... 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.