I get slow speeds and random connection losses, would buying a different router instead of using the one they provide me fix it?

So I have gigabit internet with xfinity, I only get about 400 download 40 upload, and also experience random drops, id be in the middle of an online game and just disconnect and it would tell me I lost connection, same with the voice chat I am in, they provide the equipment but you do have to pay monthly fees for it, does anyone know if actually going out and buying a decent one myself would possibly fix my issues? They want to send a technician out but ive already had 2 in the past come out, and im still having problems. Thoughts?

• use Ethernet if you can.

Depends on a bunch of things. If you’re using a 2.4 frequency connection try switching to the 5. 

2.4 is used by almost every appliance in your home and it can interfere with the connection.

You could also be experiencing connection drops if the wiring is not correctly installed. 

Another possible explanation is stormy weather. 

• jason1 month agoReport

Hasn’t rained in awhile, i’m connected with ethernet (it does happen wirelessly aswell though), and i am using the ethernet and coax cable that they provided 

Depends on the reason your getting dropouts now.

Usually a different router does nothing.

Your ISP sets the speed based on your plan.

• jason1 month agoReport

Tech comes tomorrow, guess I should wait until then to see what he says, then decide from there

• Wendy

There is a free downloadable program called InSSIDer that shows you what channel your router is using and what signal strength you are getting and it suggests a better less crowded channel for you. I have gone from 1mb to 26mb just by changing to their suggested channel in the routers settings.