Is it rude for me to wear a hijab in Muslim countries?

I’m a Caucasian female (not sure if race even matters in this situation but I thought I’d add it) and I plan on traveling to a few Muslim countries. I want to respect their cultures by covering wearing a hijab like the women there do. I didn’t know if I would really be insulting their culture by wearing one or if I should wear one just to keep respect for their country. 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • No. You look very courteous indeed. Hijab is protection against evil eyes.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not if that's the local custom. Why would it be rude? It's actually polite. It's what many Muslims expect in their countries whether you are Muslim or not.  Many western female journalists do it when they reporting from Muslim countries.

It's akin to covering your head and arms in a Catholic church, which many churches still prefer, even if you are not Catholic.

• 1 month ago

The locals in Muslim majority are more than happy to see a foreign woman in Hijab, they take pride in it.

it does you no harm.

• Mintee
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

if you do your research, there are orthodox christian and jewish women who wear black scarves and cloaks exactly like some of the women in the middle east wear... anyways.. wearing a light scarf is no insult to anyone in a muslim country.. its a sign of respect actually... also wear concervative clothing too.. race has absolutely NOTHING to do with it, you know being a muslim is not a race, there are millions of white muslims.. and muslims from every race on earth. black muslims, white muslims, brown muslims, oriental muslims.. native american indian muslims, mexican muslims, russian muslims, chinese muslims, etc etc..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If you go to Istanbul, Turkey , all of your queries above would be solved readily.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No-one is going to really care either way.

Ignore the user "Brother X" (A troll pretending to be Muslim) it's not compulsory in any Muslim country other than Iran and perhaps Saudi Arabia.

• 1 month ago

It's rude not to and anyway it's compulsory so make sure you do.

Enjoy your stay.

• alan P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It seems normal to me for non Muslim women to wear some sort of head scarf in conservative Muslim countries such as Saudi Arabia or Pakistan.  I've seen plenty of women in Dubai, Indonesia and Malaysia bare headed.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

1) cover it if it is the law

2) don't cover it if it is not because it's not a "choice" these women have made, it's male oppression.

• 1 month ago

It may land you in jail if you don't in some countries.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.