What would you have done?

My boyfriend is a construction worker. My mom asked him to do some work at her house and he agreed. They set up the appointment for the following day. The next day, I tried to call my mom, but I couldn’t reach her. So, my boyfriend and I decided to swing by her house. She wasn’t home, but my boyfriend went a head and measured everything. We left from there to the hardware store to get the material he needed to do the work. My mom still hasn’t returned my call. My boyfriend said to text her and tell her that it’ll be $300 for this job. I did, and she still didn’t reply back. Then, we picked up his brother to help do the job because she had a lot of windows to do. After that, we went back to her house so the  guys can start working. She was home at that point, and she looked surprised to see us. When they were almost done with the job, I let her know that she needs to pay him $300, and she basically told me that she isn’t gonna pay him. I told her that my boyfriend spent $80 on the caulk out of his pocket, so the rest of the money was for labor ( $100 for him and $100 for his brother) she decided to reimburse him for the caulk he used, but that was it!  My boyfriend was upset about it and feels like he got ripped off. He doesn’t want to work for her again.  I think she had this planned out and did it on purpose. That’s what I didn’t hear back from her before we went to her house.  I think it was wrong. What would you do if you were him?  

She AGREED to the appointment because she texted back yes please. She was also home the whole time they were working,

But waited until they were almost done to say that she isn’t paying

She was informed about how much it was going to cost and didn’t say anything about it and kept her appointment. I think she saw the text about paying $300 and ignored it on purpose to get the work done for free 

Lesson learned. Hopefully, she pays the next guy she hires

Someone on here mentioned getting “paid” with food. Well, you can’t “pay” the landlord or the water company or the light company with food lmao it is dumb as hell to be upset with someone for trying to work for money. That’s what adults are supposed to do.

It appears that some of you missed that part lol And my mom isn’t family to my boyfriend, so she CAN be charged 🙂

• g
    Favorite Answer

I wouldn't work for her again. She can hire someone.

• Cookie1 month agoReport

He will NOT work for her again. We think she did it on purpose. My mom is NOT the victim 

It's a lesson learned your Boyfriend has a skill he's seeing you why should she pay in her mind free labor, your Boyfriend didn't use his business hat from the start , he should have quoted her first see if she was looking for free or willing to pay

Problem is when someone doesn't answear just because you're her daughter you know wht she wants. When someone doesn't pick up wait til you hear from them. You did mistake. So now you have to wait don't talk for bit. Time heals. I had same situation happened. Money seriously rules this world. You guys are not kids if you have men use your mind

• kiki1 month agoReport

I agree. My men did the same. But she should pay off whatever she owning like it's no much $300 I spend in Costco that much for shopping

He should take her to small claims court if she was home and agreed to it... otherwise I justice wouldn't work for her ever again.  What if you marry that guy he will always remember that your mother is a mushugana.

if i was him i probably wouldnt want to do it again

• Cookie1 month agoReport

He will not work for her again. A lesson was learned 

• Nathan

Before doing any work, you need some form of written agreement that she will pay him the $300. In a court house, this means nothing because there's no proof of her even acknowledging it over texts or a contract.

Your mother was in the wrong, and he should not do work for her again. In fact, if I were him I would of taken back/ripped up what I'd just done after she played for the caulk. When did not pay the full price, so she does not deserve the finished product and she can't do anything that would get you into trouble about ripping it up

• Cookie1 month agoReport

Thank you! She knew what she was doing. I think she seen the text about charging $300, but didn’t wanna pay it so she didn’t say anything back. She should have canceled the appointment 

If she sent you a text message saying yes please then your boyfriend is a moron. He should have spoken with your mother directly.

Before I do a job, I speak with a person who I am going to be doing the job, for. I don't just go ahead, and do something without speaking with someone.

--->  I might even ask, for all of the money upfront before I do a job. <---

I met one man who asked me to do a job at my own expense. I told him what he wanted IS NOT FREE. After he heard what I said to him, then he left me.

Your boyfriend should have spoken with your mother first before doing anything, for her. I don't know why he did something, for her without first speaking with her.

• Cookie1 month agoReport

I still don’t feel bad for her 🤷🏻‍♀️   She can call someone else the next time 😊

Totally yours and your boyfriends fault. You don't do work until a person tells you the price is right. She never even agreed that she wanted the work done & he had told her he would get with her.. He should have waited until she said okay.

• Cookie1 month agoReport

She did agree, and she saw him
      And his brother working because she was home, and she did not say anything until he was almost done. I don’t feel bad for her just being honest 🤷🏻‍♀️

Your bf was a moron for doing the work without giving her a written estimate for her to accept or decline.    That's what the appointment was for.

If you feel like your mom ripped off your bf, then you are free to pay him if you wish. 

If I were your bf, I wouldn't be in this position because I don't show up to people's houses and do work when they're not home unless they've agreed to my terms, conditions and written estimate for the job.

Yes of course it's possible your mom expected a favor especially if she has helped out you guys.   But that doesn't change the fact that your bf performed the work before making sure she agreed to the price.   And she was THERE when he did it.   That's your bf's fault and there's just no excuse for it.

ETA:   "She was home and agreed to do the work"    No.  You said she was surprised to see them, and that they had almost completed the work before YOU told her she owed $300.   Your bf never said squat to her before he started the work - and he never said squat to her after the work either.   You should have butted the hell out.  If your bf wanted the job, he should have handled it properly.   He didn't handle it AT ALL. 

• Cookie1 month agoReport

She was home and agreed to do the work

• Mikey

He did work without the go-ahead. Hopefully he learns from this.

• Cookie1 month agoReport

He was hired because she asked him. 

Learn not to do anymore work for your mother.  If you are expecting to be repaid, you should have given her a cost and gotten her OK for the work before starting.  

• Cookie1 month agoReport

I don’t feel bad for her, and she can call someone else from now on