Is getting a new laptop with 128 GB really needed or is 64 GB enough?

As I cannot afford an expensive laptop at all right now and all I need is one to do emails and watch youtube videos and do a resume. So what affordable but good laptop should I get and is 64 GB all I need? thanks

Thank you everyone!

HP can pick up a laptop. it is best leptop company

Keep in mind that a laptop would need to be chosen for future use as well as current. More storage is better because you don't want to keep clearing it out to store other stuff. Plus, a lot of storage goes to the OS and apps/programs. At least 25GB in the beginning and much more afterwards.

64gb is not very much storage at all, buy more than you need in the event you decide to utilize storage space

Windows 7 and 8 both fit nicely in separate 16 GB partitions... but I know people who have made the installations even smaller by removing unused services and backups for security updates.

People here are probably combining their windows footprint with the programs they install on top of that, or my-documents / localsettings etc... I usually keep these in separate partitions because I'll backup the windows partition to restore the OS after failure, but keep separate backups of the other stuff.

Remember that you can ALWAYS use external media. You can even stream video or play games from a USB3 external hard disk drive.

Upgrading later on is possible with all (non-apple) laptops (tablet form laptops might not allow it)

ggggggggggggggggg

Yes correct that is right 

You are talking capacity here. 64Gb disc space is quite small, but with 4 Gb ram, should do youtubes fine pending your network speed.

Laptops with 500 Gb disc and 8 Gb ram are not very expensive,,under $500 at Walmart. Rather fast machines too. Great for school sort of work, internet.

Streaming video, possibly HD. Light gaming and such.

What if you want to do something else, and then you realize you can't do it because you only have 64GB, or 128GB.

You should consider the fact that software uses memory, so you might end up having less memory than what you expected to have.

Everything that's installed, and made on a computer uses up memory!

After you save a file, that will use up memory, and if you want to download something from an e-mail then that will use up more memory.

I made a resume, for myself, and I backed it up. After I backed it up, then I deleted it from my hard drive. I just want to let you know a resume might not be needed. I was able to get jobs without it.

• P

It would be a very bad idea to get a windows laptop with only 64gb since after a few years of security updates and just a few programs you will have nothing left.    The problem is 128gb is just barely enough these days.  

• P
      4 weeks agoReport

Not everyone has the skills or the desire to constantly scrub a laptop.  120gb ssd's can be had for $20, it's absurd to inconvenience yourself to save less than the price of a lunch.

you can always get a laptop with 64 gb of ssd and more storage of the traditional kind