y asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 12 months ago

My employer is in New Jersey but I live and work in New York?

I recently got hired by a New Jersey employer and I'll be working for their client in New York soon. For the time being, the only employer-sponsored health insurance I have available to me is by my New Jersey employer.

I know the individual mandate was eliminated, but not in New Jersey. Do I still have to buy health care through my New Jersey employer if I am technically a New York resident?

It's all about where you have your payroll taxes paid.  Is in NJ?  Or NY?  Those are the rules you are subject to. 

Is what's available to you as an individual better/cheaper than what your employer is providing?  You can buy either.

Are you required to reside in NY or is that your choice (you can always choose where to live)?  Will this be a permanent position or temporary?  

This has nothing to do with the individual mandate, which has been eliminated in most states. 

This is related to the employer mandate, which is still in effect for all companies in the USA with 50 or more employees.  It doesn't matter about the NJ/NY work relationship, companies in all states are governed under this mandate

- The company is required to OFFER you health insurance coverage, if you average more than 30 hours a week (or 120 hours a month). 

- You (the employee) are not required to accept the offer (never were even when the individual mandate was in place).

- You (the employee) are not eligible for the IRS tax subsidy (for coverage purchased through your state's marketplace) if you workplace insurance costs less than 9.5% of your total income.

Lots of employees live in different states.  You have the health insurance of your employer (no matter where you live).  But anyway, this is a question for your employer.  

If anyone actually knows the definitive answer it should be your employer. Why not ask them?