Should I relocate from Minneapolis, Minnesota to Fort Collins, Colorado?

I've recently had some job offers out there that would make the move easier, and I'm young enough (26) that i feel this would be an exciting new experience. I've been in Minnesota my whole life and feel I've experienced most of what it has to offer, and have grown tired of the overcast, frigid, and long winters. I'm very excited at the prospect of moving to Colorado but would like to know everybody's thoughts.

Thank you

Colorado is getting expensive I would stay where you are 

• Foofa

You might want to check the winter temps in Colorado before you make that move.

Go for it! If you have the opportunity and are thinking about doing it, now is the time. It is essentially a college town so there will be a lot of people in your age range.

Colorado has a lot to offer in general especially if you like nature. Obviously, the Rocky Mountains are great. (even Yellowstone can be driven to in a day)

You've got Denver about an hour away.

Simply ask yourself...in a year, would you regret not moving? If the answer is yes (or probably) then go

• A.J.

I've moved about 8 times to vastly different places over the years, always on my own.

Minneapolis is a large city, but you may live in the suburbs. Fort Collins is about 165,000 people and similar sized small cities not far with Denver about an hour drive.

Fort Collins is at about 5000 feet elevation and Minneapolis under 1000.

Thinner air to get used to.

Averages climate.

Fort Collins, Colorado gets 16 inches of rain vs 32Fort Collins averages 48 inches of snow per year vs 52On average, there are 237 sunny days per year in Fort Collins vs 198Fort Collins gets some kind of precipitation, on average, 90 days per year vs 112 Summer High: the July high is around 87 degrees vs 84Winter Low: the January low is 15 vs 7

It's a little sunnier and the rain is less dense.

There are more mountains an terrain.

Home prices are higher in Fort Collins by 40%, but apartment rents comparable.

Crime rate lower in Fort Collins

Notable difference not shown in this is daytime highs November through March.

It doesn't get as frigid mid-day in Fort Collins for most days.

Given the differences and similarities, although any move is about meeting new people, a lot should be similar. If you live center-city now, the smaller city is a notable difference. It's a matter of changing documentation and mailing address.

Focus on meeting new people.

I like a shakeup every now and then. It keeps you young.

Moving advice is to throw away what you don't need or old stuff before you move.

Include buying some new stuff as part of a move.

Out with the old and in with the new.

Fort Collins is much less liberal and urban than Minneapolis.

I'm very excited at the prospect of moving to........

GREAT

Moving ANYWHERE is an adventure. There are the obvious differences. Things like weather and scenery out the window.

Coloradans are similar to those in Minnesota . HINT mostly Human tend to walk upright come in assorted sizes and ages.

You DO NOT have to move everything you own the first day.

It appears you have a job. Excellent way to start.

If just an interview you DO NOT NEED all your possessions for that task.

More than enough to do finding a place to call home for sleep and your job.

You NEED a few suitcases worth of stuff for your first week or two. YOUR STUFF can follow you a few days later when you have an address to move to.

You DO NOT get your pay the First day you start work. PLAN AND BUDGET accordingly. You have many one time expenses before that first pay is in your pocket.

Food to eat, rent, changing ID, utility accounts, transportation to and from job and many other things. Expect all these little expenses to add up to about $5,000 your first few months.

Both places have these things called electricity and running water no need for soup can and string to call Mom.

Shall we all guess your budget for the time not at work or sleeping?

That get away for a weekend camping, a mountain bike ride or whatever can be expensive if you do not already have the equipment needed.

Good Luck I have been in both Fort Collins and Minneapolis .Weather not as harsh hot or cold in Colorado.It does have its moments  so bring your winter stuff it does get used. Just a little more sun in Winter and a little less in summer about 30 minutes to an hour each day. weather near mountains does change much faster than the flatland. Floods come faster too. Heed the weather forecasts when out for your adventures. The temperature can drop lots when the sun goes down or you go UP some mountain.

Biggest difference is outside the cities and towns. Colorado has more space between each town the rural parts have a lot less people , shops and services. The same stuff you are used to having is available you just may need to go a bit further to get it.

For your first few months avoid the urge to buy everything NEW. Many very good quality used/second hand things available to get you started in that new to you place you call home.

The average person is expected to move about five times over the decades to come. The moving part is never easy but you learn what to do to make it not so hard the next time.

If it improves your prospects and you're getting assistance for the move, yes. Colorado is a great place to live. The economy is good. There's a thriving community of young people and there's a lot to see and do. Fort Collins is a nice university town.

• martin

Make sure the place you're heading for is one whose reputation you think you'll like, because places have a way of living up to their reputation.

MOVE!!!  Don't look back just do it.  You will not regret it.

The winters in FoCo are nothing compared to a Minnesota winter.  The sun shines almost everyday and there will be numerous days in January and February where the temps will touch 70 degrees.  No humidity, when it does snow you can sweep it off your walk with a broom.  

FoCo is a college town - Colorado State University - it's a GREAT place to be 26 years old.  FoCo is one of the most desirable places to live in Colorado.  FoCo has been chosen as the best place to live in America numerous times.

Source(s): Born and raised in FoCo, lived in numerous different locations in the US, but never lived in Minnesota (Indianapolis was is closest to MN I've lived). My family has ties to MN, been there numerous times.