the change of your address?

Please inform me of your change of address.

Please inform me of the change of your address.

Does the second sentence sound strange?

In what way are their meanings different?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

You can say either, but typically the idea is that the change is the thing of interest, rather than the address itself.  The address is simply what has changed.  Your change of address, your change of internet service provider, your change of cell phone contract.  It can be, sometimes, that "your address" is the thing of interest, the thing that belongs to you particularly (rather than the change belonging to you particularly).  Normally in such a case, we would be more specific and ask for your new address.  Change is taken as given so not even mentioned.

• 1 month ago

The first sentence is better. You could write "Don't forget to tell me your new address." I think this sentence sounds better.       

• 1 month ago

The standard expression is 'Please inform me of your change of address'.

This implies that the person already knows that you have changed your address.

Otherwise they could say, 'Please inform me of any [future] change of address'.

• 1 month ago

Please inform me of change IN your address

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Both work, the first one comes off the tongue easier IMO.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

they both sound good

• 1 month ago

Please inform me of your change of address is correct because 'change of address' is the commonly accepted phrasing.

The second is not technically wrong, it just sounds stilted for the reason I have given above.

• 1 month ago

To me, the first one sounds better but if you made the second "of" in each sentence into an "in" it would sound a lot better. It feels too clunky right now. The only change in the meanings is that you are giving their ownership of "the change" in the first one and in the second one you are giving them ownership of "their address" and just mentioning the change of it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.