D asked in Food & DrinkEntertaining · 1 month ago

Is it rude to have friends pay for surprise party?

I am having a surprise party for my girlfriend at a private room in a restaurant. It’s buffet style that is 25$ per person.  

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

No I don't think it is

• 1 month ago

I don't think it is rude but, If you invite them you should care for them the price is okay to them. I they said they want to come the party. They should pay.

• Glo
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

No one should be forced to pay to attend a party. 

• 1 month ago

Call your people and ask what they CAN afford.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes that is rude.Have the size and kind of party you can pay for.

• 1 month ago

YES

You do not invite people to a party then ask them to pay for it. 

Invite as many as you can afford to host. You might want to scale it down and have a small dinner at home.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's pretty tacky to invite people to a party and expect them to pay to attend.   It's even more tacky when it's a gift-giving occasion like a birthday party. 

If you and your friends want to agree to meet for dinner at a certain time/place to celebrate your gf's birthday, that's fine.  You can all agree to go Dutch and there's nothing wrong with that.   But that's not the same thing as throwing her a surprise party and inviting guests. 

• 1 month ago

You will come off as cheap and less people will come and the ones who do show up will feel put off by it. 

• 1 month ago

I wouldn't do that. If you want to throw a surprise party for your gf, then YOU should pay for it. t shows you really care and that she is worth it. Having friends pay could make it be seen as something that you didn't really very hard to do. I think you should pay for it.

• 1 month ago

If you want an expensive party for your gf, it's up to you to pay for it. I realize it's not uncommon for people to do these things but it means there will be people who can't afford to go and people who will resent having to pay $25 just for a party.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.