Are small fragments of glass common when changing oil?  My husband found small fragments in the oil after he drained it. Thank you!?

my car is a 2016 lexus nt200 if that helps.

He is mistaken.  It is not glass.  No glass in a metal motor.  It was already in the oil pan or it is misidentified.  There is NO WAY it it glass.  What it is, is his imagination.  Maybe that Lightbulb blew out? Not even going to try to guess.

Is he sure the fragments are glass?  If so, then there are a few possibilities (in no particular order).

1) Someone purposefully put glass fragments in your oil.

2) Someone accidentally put glass fragments in your oil (like if someone broke a bottle in the garage, and pieces ended up on the funnel that was used to put the new oil in).

3) The glass was already in the drain pan, and didn't actually come from the engine.

I would probably try picking up the fragments with a magnet to verify that they are/aren't metallic.  With a vehicle that new, you shouldn't be getting anything in the oil unless it has been seriously abused.

• M.

In more than half a century, I have NEVER seen "glass fragments" in the oil of a car, truck, motorcycle, boat or lawnmower.

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

There are no glass parts in an engine so it is Impossible for glass to be in engine oil unless someone put it there. I suspect it was already in the drain pan or you just think it is glass. 

Extremely rare. Either the glass was already in the pan he drained the oil into or someone is trying to sabotage your engine.

No, not all. Should never be any in fact.

• abdul

No, that is not at all common. I can't imagine how glass got into your crankcase in the first place.

• Sonia7 months agoReport

okay thank you.  Not sure how it was in the oil either.

• R K

no, there is no glass particles in anyone's oil.

• Sonia7 months agoReport

that's what I thought but I wanted to make sure. Thanks

The oil, or that in the engine, has been contaminated with glass. If that's what it is. Has he annoyed a mechanic lately?

• Sonia7 months agoReport

he changes the oil himself so there would be not mechanic contamination.  I am curious though if the oil was contaminated.

• Greg

How would glass be in the engine?

• Sonia7 months agoReport

Not sure.