What size tires would give me the best handling and traction on ice and snow?

I live in northern Michigan and I need good snow tires real bad. I have a 2014

4 wd Jeep grand Cherokee and it slips and slides all over the road with my all season radials. It has 20 wheels and the snow tires that would go on those wheels are 9 inches wide. The tire store told me I should change to 18 Inch wheels and put on narrower snow tires (8 inches wide). They said I would get better handling and traction with a narrower tire. Any tire guys out there know about that? Thanks.

not much snow here where I live   --  I have Michelin Defenders

The narrower tires will handle packed snow and ice better than the wider ones. The smaller the surface area, the less the tire will need to "cut" through the packed snow. That said, you'll also need to change the computer to adjust to new tire sizes or your speedo/odometer will be off. You do not need to get smaller tires, but it will be easier to get a second set of rims you can dedicate to winter tires.

It is normally accepted that wider tires don't bite down through the snow as well, but there is little reasoning to justify buying smaller wheels except maybe total price if mounting snow tires on a separate set of wheels..

• Ron

The tire store is trying to make a sale. Slap some snow tires on the existing wheels and go for a drive

If you have factory wheels on the Jeep then stick with the size Chrysler installed at the factory. The correct size to install is 265/50R20

Yes, narrower tires are better in the snow as they will dig down to the road surface more easily.

• arther

the more side wall a tyre has the better it is for off road conditions low profile tyres are for High speed on flat roads.

Believe I would contact a Jeep dealership. They have the specs and recommendations for this vehicle.