Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 1 month ago

Chorus or Choir?

Hello,

We are choosing an official English name for our local boy's chorus group (consisting of 40-50 schoolboys). Our problem is, which is better between “Setou Boys Chorus” or “Setou Boys Choir.”

I understand that either name is OK. It is a proper name, after all. I think they usually call this kind of singers' group as a choir in the UK. On the other hand, choir (especially boy choir) sounds like more or less church-related and European in the US.

Since we are a city chorus group, I prefer “Boys Chorus” to avoid any misunderstanding or confusion. But that’s just my thought as a non-native speaker. Could you share your idea? Which would be better? Thanks.

These two terms are used interchangeably. Go with whatever your preference is.

I am a retired choral director - 4 of us this family are now or were.  Setou Boys' Chorus or Setou Boychoir both work.  I slightly prefer the second one. 

Go with choir. It's the acceptable term ever for lay performances. 

• Wendy

A choir tends to be a group of singers where as a chorus tends to have a performance, like movement or dance involved along with the singing

• Sparky

I'm slightly leaning more towards 'Choir'