Printers: Do only HP inks go bad if you don't print something every week, or do they all do that?

• ron h

I hate injet printers b/c I have to buy ink to print 2 pages.  Then 6 mo later, 2 more pages and buy more ink.  I've got a B/W laser.  I don't use it much but the toner cartridge has lasted 13 years.

• John

After 30 yrs I finally tired of HP printers, now I prefer my Canon printer.

• John

Since ink is a liquid and it must dry to stay on the paper, ink will dry up when not in use. That said, HP is the worst because they are the only company to my knowledge which puts expiration dates in the chips of their cartridges. When that date is reached, the cartridges stop working. Other companies stamp an expiration date on the box but that is just a "best use by" date. If cartridges are kept away from heat or sunlight, they can last long past those dates. But not HP. Read this for details https://bestinkandtoner.com/hp-printers-dirty-tric...

• Lv 7

MOST printer inks use sponges to hold the ink inside the cartridges. they do this on purpose so the sponges dry out after so long sitting on the shelf and you have to buy more.

this hasn't changed in about 2 decades...

Because it will earn more money for HP.

It's not the inks as such, it's just that any exposed to air in the printhead dry out and start to clog up the print nozzles.

It can happen with any inkjet that is left unused too long, if the seal or cap the printhead fits to when it's parked has anything less than a perfect seal or is itself clogged up with dried ink.

I gave up on them a few years ago and use colour laser printer now - it costs a fraction as much to run as the inkjet did & no problems with it being idle at times.