I have a legal questions regarding my boat. So i keep my boat in a slip at a marina and I was having some problems with the engine?

So I had the service people at the marina come out and look at the engine. The charged me $100 and I paid them and they recomended I change the engine oil due to water in it. I went and changed the engine oil and told them in writting it has been changed and I would like the service team to run another test to make sure it works. The service team went and changed the oil again for $250...despite being told in writting not to do so. I disuputed the charge and the marina has not given me a answer they are saying we still have to pay. Now I went back to the boat to take it out of the marina and they pulled the boat out of the water without my permission and kept it on their stands and are refusing to let me take it. they also sent me another bill for $350 for "hauling out the boat" which i never even asked them to do. Are they allowed to do this? Refuse to give my boat back to me.

Thanks

They are sticking me with a $550+ bill saying pay it or we are not giving the boat back to you. I went to the marina and the lady was not helpful saying I cant adjust any invoices. 

Are they legally allowed to hold my property over disputed service charges?

I might be buying a boat, and living on it at a marina. Currently I am still studying about boats.

If I made the same request as you then I would definitely be looking at, and speaking with whoever goes on my boat to take a look at my engine.

You could have easily prevented your problem. All you had to do is BE ON YOUR BOAT WHILE SOMEONE WAS LOOKING AT YOUR ENGINE!!!

If I were you I would have said I don't want you to change my engine oil face to face the second time around.

I think you could have saved money if you changed your boat oil by yourself, and you would not have lost your boat either.

• M.
      1 month agoReport

Yes.  I agree.

Lawyer, not idiots on the Internet.

Source(s): I am neither.
  • Scott

They have your boat. You need to do whatever it takes to get your boat back, then you take this to court.

I see that as a mechanic's lien.  You don't get it back until you pay the bill.  Holds true for your car too...if it was the same situation.  You have a limited amount of time to pay them back otherwise the boat goes up on the auction block.

. they pulled the boat from the slip so you could not just jump in and slip away without paying.  They got your boat in a sling.  It is the only leverage they got. 

. it is Obviously you were going to take it WITHOUT dealing with the charges. So many other marinas.  You never have to visit this one again.  They know this so they did what they did to thwart your plans BATMAN.

.Obviously they feel confident they will win the case so go for it.  Have the JUDGE tell you WHAT YOU GOT TO DO.

Get the police involved.  Yes a marina/mechanic can hold a boat pending payment for service BUT that service had to have been authorized by the owner before it was completed and billed.  You never authorized the service they're using to justify pulling your boat to hold it in lieu of receiving payment.  I'd definitely have a police officer with you when you go back to reclaim your boat. 

Yes, they can legally hold your boat until the bill is paid.  Yes, they can charge you for storage or haul-out while your boat is being held.  Pay the bill, move your boat, and dispute the charges in court.

Presuming your written instructions were clear you have a case.  Why did they pull the boat out of the water?  The only thing I can think of since you disputed the bill they pulled the boat to prevent you from taking it elsewhere.

Start an action in the Small Claims Court.

• In

They have hit you with an illegitimate charge and are holding your boat hostage. File a police report then contact an attorney.

• M.
      1 month agoReport

Illegitimate charge - yes!
      Holding boat hostage - yes!
      File police report - yes!
      (Maybe talk to a detective
      while you're there)
      Contact an attorney - YES!!!

I think they are allowed to hold the boat until the bill is paid, but can you PROVE they were notified the oil was changed? If yes, you could go to small claims court or see Judge Judy.