Alex
Alex asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationClimbing · 4 months ago

I tried rock climbing recently and got nowhere. Can someone be too weak to rock climb?

I tried rock climbing a few Sundays ago and got absolutely nowhere. Even when I did the easiest possible paths, or just ignored the colors, I always went a few steps and just couldn't do anything else. Do I have bad form or could I just be too weak?

Note that I am *incredibly* weak. I am a 21 year old male who never got the basic strength I was supposed to have (the strength you should naturally have just from being well-fed). I used to think that my strength was the same as an average female my age, but after the rock climbing session it seems I'm even weaker than that, as if that wasn't bad enough.

If there's anybody who is too weak to do it, barring physical disabilities, it's me.

Climbing is more about skill than strength. If you can climb a ladder, rock climbing is just a little different.

First thing I learned is hug the wall and keep your butt in, that keeps weight on your feet, not on your arms. Use your hands for nothing but keeping you against the wall.

the rest is like using a nub like a ladder for your weight.

• Andy

Starting out rock climbing tends to initially be very humbling. Even otherwise strong and fit folks often have trouble because a large portion of climbing efficiently relates to using good technique and poor technique leads one to work significantly harder than a more experienced climber who has better technique. Also, many of the muscles used in climbing aren't often extensively used in other activities so it takes a little bit of time for these muscles to get strengthened. I often see clearly strong guys bring their slight 100-pound girlfriends to the gym to try climbing for the first time then see them get all upset because the girl climbs better because she uses some technique while the guy thinks he can just muscle his way through things.

Don't get discouraged. Try it a few more times and I'm certain that it will begin to feel easier. Don't be afraid to ask more experienced climbers at the gym for some pointers - climbers tend to be a friendly bunch who generally are open to helping folks out with advice. I've linked to a page that should get your started with the bare basics of climbing technique.

https://www.vdiffclimbing.com/climbing-technique/

Good luck.

You should be able to build yourself up with exercise. Maybe a personal trainer could help. Good luck.

EDIT:

Another example of daniel g telling YA how great he is.  He must be a very sad

person to constantly brag about his supposed skills.

He really could give a rats posterior about you and how you did it after all

you are not his trainer.