Is it true that most doctors have access to paid journals? If so, through what means?

Assuming they aren't professors also they would have to pay for each individual journal and at the end of the day that can cost a lot. 

Since we are on the subject, as a secondary question I'd like to ask if it's also true that we can't learn well about a particular medical condition unless we get accese to these paid platforms. My experience says yes as after extensive research I was still unable to find free articles describing even basic clinical procedures of common conditions. It's not to say I didn't learn a lot, I did, but many basic questions, like how often to check blood serum in pregnant patients with hashimoto's, were left unanswered. 

Favorite Answer

Free no, unless we go read them at the health center or med school library. There are things online like medscape which is free, but print journals are not free unless the group buys a subscription for the practice. Otherwise it’s an individual subscription.  Basic med knowledge is not in journals, journals are for cutting edge discoveries, new innovations, case reports etc. basic medical knowledge is from textbooks and lectures in school. Journals are to add to or update base knowledge, they are not for beginning knowledge.

Source(s): ER PA and MD

Your medical school library should have a number of medical journals. Med school library computers typically have online access to a lot of publications, websites, etc. as well. See your librarian for info. Also, med students may qualify for student subscription rates. Then a few students team up to each subscribe to one or another journal & share access.

But you should have expected a vast number of hidden costs in med school (same is true for all grad students), including student memberships in professional organizations, subscriptions to professional journals, attending professional society meetings/seminars/workshops, and a lot more.

When you are in a university, the university library usually has subscription to many journals, and you have access through the university library. After that, yes, you pay for the journals. After all, they have to pay the editors, pay for the printing, etc. The big expense for doctors is malpractice insurance.

Doctors can go to medical libraries or have access to medical online libraries to read the journals they do not subscribe to. My father was university medical school faculty. He did NOThave an M.D. degree. He TAUGHT M.Ds. He was 50 year long AAAS member. He was sent Science free after he retired. He subscribed to Scientific American for decades. That is why I grew up reading Science and Scientific American as bathroom reading material. My father kept up-to-date by reading while sitting on the bathroom throne.

it might be true so they can get the info they need

A little known Tax Deduction.

A "Trade Journal*" is deducted from their Income Taxes, so it is really paid for by the Other Taxpayers, effectively free to the profession.

*a periodical containing news and items of interest concerning a particular trade. IF not available to the hoi polloi.