so why spend so much money to go to another country, when you can see it on youtube for free ?

the air plane ticket, the hotel bill, the restaurant bill, the walking around aimlessly while having locals stare at you or trying to rip you off, etc. ALL can be avoided while also having a computer handy to look up information (on ex. Wikipedia) about the country you can watch ALL apsects of on Youtube. (I can type in "Train ride Switzerland" and see 100s of videos showing not only the view from the passenger window but also the view from the very front of the train (what the driver sees)...and can view "Walking in Munich" and see a video showing hours of walking around for hours on the streets seeing what i would be seeing if i were walking around there BUT paying for a hottel bill, restaurant bill etc.

SO WHAT MAKES IT BETTER TO ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY GO OVER THERE? I tell you I would be wishing i could sit on my sofa and watch it in the privacy of my own home and read whatever information, see maps, etc on my laptop , etc

Favorite Answer

Nothing, really. You have to be the kind of person that appreciates staring at scenery and whatnot. I've been several places, Hawaii, England, France. Not really much of a difference between reality and the laptop.

In fact, the laptop lacks the sore feet, 3 hour long waits in line, summer heat, etc. etc. but if you just rely on technology, you'll never have the chance to run into some wise old foreign dude to give you life wisdom on the subway.

You also avoid the risk of being pickpocketed. Hmm. I guess it all balances out. For me, I prefer the virtual stuff because it is FREE. That's the best part.

• P

Probably for the same reason as experiencing a painting rather than looking at a picture in a book

• Ask Eddie J. he likes to take Vacations on Google Maps then go there and drive through the places he looks at. I feel like there's mostly no point in traveling because everyone just wants to go from city to city without realizing that every damned city is the same garbage hole.

Why is this philosophical?

Suit yourself, dumbass. I'm thrilled I won't be bumping into you when I travel. 

YouTube is wonderful, and travel documentaries are useful. And you're right, they are cheap, entertaining, informative and safe. But you can't meet the people that way, or make the contacts, or discover things for yourself. I'll never forget the train ride we took across India; it took us days to get from Northern India to Southern India. I stood under a waterfall that kept moving side to side, walked in the caves of Ellora and Ajanta, and rode on very narrow and frightening roads in the Himalayas where a troop of monkeys crossed the road. It's about the adventure, not just scenery.

• 1 month agoReport

i also watched a tour of the Great Wall in China that was hours long too

I'd get bored watching it all on Youtube too. Often some people can work a lot and make enough money to travel even after bills and feel that even youtube is too difficult to sit down and watch. Traveling to other countries especially if they speak another language provides a break from seeing neighbors, coworkers, especially if you live in the same place you grew up on. Tried it before, its worth it.

• Mike W

Watching videos on YouTube isn't much of an adventure.  I'd rather live it than just see it, but if seeing it is enough for you, then go for it. 

• Mike W
      1 month agoReport

I'm not trying to tell you what to do.  Just saying that I'd rather see places in person. 

• -

Your choice buddy if you want to life a virtual life and my choice to life, breath and touch the real world.

I have different approach. I want to see it before it’s gone. After which, the only place you would be able to see it is on you tube.