Lv 6
Ben asked in TravelAsia PacificKorea · 1 month ago

Some Koreans who live in the USA do not have an American name or English name?

a) yes

b) no

When you answer, can you give me an explanation?

5 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    If you go to a foreign country you can actually change your name to want you legally want to be named in that foreign country.

    Not all, Koreans or other minorities that come to America change their name to be Americanize. Mainly those are born in America adopt an Americanize name, but not all.

    A lot of minorities, such as Asians has different names (governemently in their country) when they vist their family's homeland. So I wouldn't say they change or adopt but some actully have 2 names.

  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Koreans who emigrated to the US from Korea were most likely born with a Korean name. Those that have a Western name or "English name", have usually adopted it in an unofficial capacity. 

    There are essentially three different ways that Koreans wind up with the names bestowed on them: Number One - their grandparents (usually the paternal grandfather), chooses the name... Number Two - the parents visit a professional name-maker that chooses a name based on a host of different factors... Number Three - the child's parents do it the way it's done in Western countries and just choose a name they like. 

    The entire reason why overseas Koreans adopt Western names is because most Westerners are not accustomed to Korean names. It's not that they're particularly hard to say, but Korean has fewer sounds than most Western languages and we're also talking about a country where a staggering portion of the population shares the same three surnames. "Kim", "Lee" and "Park" are very common here, and the other names that would round out the top five or ten like "Jeong" and "Choi" are also very widespread. 

    When Koreans choose a Western name for themselves, they sometimes try to choose something that's similar to their actual name, so you get Korean blokes called "Jae-Cheol" (재철) calling themselves "Jay", which makes sense, but you also meet people with names like "Min-Woo" (민우) who decide to call themselves "Charlie" or "Danny" just because they like the sound of it. 

    It's just bizarre because Westerners seem to expect that people from other parts of the world ought to attempt to fit in better. There are quite a few foreigners in Korea, but when Koreaboos choose a Korean name for themselves, Koreans take offense to it, they don't like it at all. They see it as appropriation of their culture, they find it belittling, etc., yet we Westerners expect that people who were born with names we find strange ought to tweak them to make them more palatable for us. 

  • 1 month ago

    Yes... ....................

  • 1 month ago

    No, when a person gets a visa or whatever allows them to come to the United States they have to present proof of who they are. You don't do that by using a different one than what yours actually is.

    • nutella1 month agoReport

      Yes this is true when entering or wanting to enter America, but also when becoming a citizen nationality you can also legally change your name. 

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Murzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    yes. many keep their ethnic name

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.