What are the best cheap anti-virus programs?

My anti-virus protection is running out and I'm a broke college student. What do you think is a good cheaper anti-virus? I'm looking for something under $50 a year. I've currently got a limited free version of total AV downloaded and my university recommends Sophos. Should I download the full versions of one of those two? Are they any good?

• AAAJ

Try 360 Total Security. It's free & provide full protection

How cheap you want to go? Two very good freebies are Bitdefender and Kaspersky.

There is a big collection of antivirus i.e. Nortan, Quickheal etc. and ranges from $30 - $50.  

Avg that you have to pay for is about $30 to $40 but we'll with it. 

Sometimes Norton would offer a special pricing on their anti virus software 

Actually I liked Avira.  It is free and unlike other AV programs, it actually will fix errors in your computer that it sees.(that blew me away)

Right now I am using Windows Defender which comes with Windows.  It is free and does everything any of the other AV does.  It's updates go to the other AV's as they get no idea of what M$ has discovered.  So until M$ discovers it the other AV programs are "stupid"

Windows defender does not slow the computer down.  Avira didn't either and I had the free version.  For years.  Just have not gotten around to installing it again as a M$ tech removed my AV when I was having a problem(but that was not the issue)  [It was a browser problem that killed my computer's speed.] I found that out myself and eliminated that particular browser.  In this case, UC browser.

I work in IT as a Computer Technician. Go here https://www.360totalsecurity.com/ and download their free version. It protects your computer, the browsers, and won't let a flash drive through before it checks it. It will also clean up temp files, and kill programs that don't need to start at boot up. A very good program, and if you want the paid version later, it has a very low price. The best anti virus right now.

Friend I don't recommend either of the two virus programs automatic virus generator as it's known in the computer world is often packaged with malware and distributed on third-party sites. Sophos is not one of the better engines. Get Panda free antivirus which is cloud-based or get Avast a very good free antivirus.

• Rayal

I have never paid for virus programs.  Microsoft supplies one with their OS and does regular updates on definitions for it.  Most paid VP slow down your computer and do things that are unnecessary for malware protection,.

• Robert1 month agoReport

Microsoft Defender will not protect your computer very well. Do not trust it to be your only anti virus.

If you're using Windows 10, it comes with Windows Defender, Microsoft's own antivirus program.  Defender works as well as anything you can buy.  You don't need any other antivirus software--at least it won't do you any good.

• Murzy

Both of them are good.