My friends parents are going to give her up for foster care, how do we adopt her? Can we legally house her against her parents will? ?

Her parents said they didnt care if she ended up in a good place, and they would rather give her to the state then to us. We're good people, and she's been my best friend and my rock throughout life for years. We're completely stable financially. My dad is a successfull entrepreneur and has more than enough money to support another child. Ask me for any more information you might need.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Your dad may have the money, but does he have the DESIRE to take on another dependent? You have to discuss this with your family. You can't just invite someone to live in your home without your parents' consent/approval.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

No you can't house her without her parents permission or a court order.

• 1 month ago

Depends on your state whichya don't state. Some states permit almost any "interested person" to file for custody. See a family law attorney or read your state code yourself. Your choice.

• 1 month ago

Let the parents give the child up for foster care let them sign away their rights to the child. Then contact the department of children and families and volunteer to adopt the child they'll start a home study and see if you're able to take the job and if you're able to take the job and the child already knows you you're going to get top consideration. If you get involved now the parents are only going to make it difficult. Let them be stupid and give their child up and sign away their rights that way they won't have any say whatsoever when you show up and volunteer to adopt the child

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Topaz
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Get an adoption lawyer so they can tell u what steps to take legally

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

there are legal steps to follow for an adoption.

• 1 month ago

They cannot give her up to foster care without the intervention of Child Protective Services.  Unless she is in imminent danger of harm, it is unlikely she would be placed in foster care - there are not enough foster homes for children who are in danger for social services to get involved in a situation where parents are just tired of raising their child.

If your parents want to talk to her parents about appointing them as your friend's legal guardians, that would be a possibility.

Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.
  • 1 month ago

If her parents do not sign their rights away it will never happen.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

How are your friend's parents involved in this decision? Was your friend and partner killed?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Your friend's parents can not do such a thing. If it was this easy to give up a child then you wouldn't have people abusing or killing their kids. A parents just is to care for their child & if they do not then they face jail time. It is called child neglect.

If your friend's parents can not properly care for her then CPS needs to be contacted. An investigation would take place and if found unfit then she would be placed in foster care. Foster care and adoption are two different things. Foster care is tempory care aka CARE at the end of the name. The goal of foster care is to keep families together.

Your friend would never be put up for adoption unless she was orphaned. Teenagers even with parents who are in jail are very rarely put up for adoption. They simply remain in the system (foster care) until they age out.

If your parents want to be foster carers then they must apply like everyone else. This takes months and requires a lot of time. Your dad being a successful entrepreneur will likely show he is way too busy to do foster care.

Source(s): family & friends are foster parents, my husband & I are working on becoming foster parents
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.