promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I am scraping wire under 16 gauge. Is there a price difference if i just strip off the outer shielding but leave the red and black coating?

In an 18/2 wire there would be an outer white shielding. After stripping that there are 2 conductors, red and black. Is it worth it to strip the outer layer if i am not going to strip the red and black when it comes to scrapping? I have about 600 lbs

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

In my area you will net 60 cents more per pound from stripped copper wire than insulated copper wire (the colored coatings). The plastic "shield" may not be accepted at any price, since it will cost them  even more to strip that off before the metal can be recycled.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 months ago

If you are in the USA, chances are there is one or more scrap yards somewhere in ... leaving just the copper pipes, you will have the higher paying copper #2. ... If you have this type of wire, just strip it yourself and get full copper price! ... of alloys that can be created from any type of metal, but you are most likely familiar to the ...

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

The jdjdhdjdjjdhdhjdhdjdhdjdhdhdh

• 5 months ago

how old are you ? Can you make ends meet by scraping wire ? 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

yes.. colors differs

• 5 months ago

Yes as it has different colours

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

You certainly can you fool.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Yes there is certainly a price difference between those

• ...Show all comments
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

The plastic coating on the copper wires is considered "garbage" and they will deduct a percentage from what they would have paid for the stripped copper.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.