Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Why doesn't Trump resign?

Trump is in serious trouble and he knows it. His behavior is not indicative of an innocent person.

At least Nixon had enough class to resign when  he was in trouble. 

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Resigning would involve, at least implicitly, admitting fault and that's something that a narcissist like Trump can never do. Although Richard Nixon continued to defend his actions until the end of his life, his resignation during Watergate implicitly admitted that he had done things which at least seemed highly legal. Trump is never going to do that. In Trump's case, his desire to stay in office may be strengthened by the fact that he could be facing criminal charges once he leaves office. Trump portrayed the Mueller report as a total exoneration. This was a little bit of an exaggeration when it came to Russia since the report specifically said that it did not exonerate him. However, the report offered a incredibly damning vision of trump when it came to obstruction of justice. At the time of the report's release there were several hundred former Federal prosecutors who signed an open letter saying that if anyone else had done what Trump had done then they would be brought up on obstruction of justice charges. The reason that Trump was not charge seems to be a Department of Justice opinion which says that a sitting president cannot be charged with a crime. Of course, this protection goes away once Trump leaves office and so he may very well be looking at obstruction of justice charges. All of this provides strong incentive for him to try and stay in office. He's bolstered in that desire by the fact that, as of right now, it looks likely that he will survive impeachment. I think that, at this point, impeachment is inevitable. The evidence is just so overwhelming that Trump is guilty that Democrats simply cannot ignore it. They are going to impeach him. However, at this time it also looks like Trump will remain in office rather than being voted out. In order to remove someone from office there needs to be a super majority of senators who vote to convict them. Democrats have, I believe, something like 47 Senators. That means that about 20 Republicans would have to cross the aisle and vote to convict Trump in order for him to be kicked out of office. That just doesn't seem like it's going to happen especially since support for impeachment remains low among Republicans. While a few Republicans made of fact, particularly vulnerable ones such as Maine's Susan Collins or Colorado Cory Gardner, it seems unlikely that Republicans from heavily conservative States will risk the wrath of trump, and their constituents, by voting to remove him from office. If that's the case, then Trump is probably right not to resign, at least from a tactical perspective. He will likely survive impeachment and then can go on with his presidency. Of course, impeachment might fatally damaged him ahead of what is likely to already be a tough election, but why should Trump give up prematurely?

• 1 month ago

Let's wait and see what the articles of impeachment actually charge Donald Trump with! Let's see if there's an actual violation of a law. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to throw in the towel until I see some criminal charges on a piece of paper! You can threaten to file criminal charges all day long. I want to see the actual charges on paper before I would decide hey I'm going to throw in the towel.

• 1 month ago

lol................tds

• 1 month ago

I said the same thing about Bill Clinton, but he did not resign. Go figure. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Never happen, this impeachment baloney is as phony as the Russian investigation. Trump easily wins reelection. 

• Trump can't escape New York State charges.  Governor Andrew Cuomo probably won't pardon him.

• 1 month ago

Yeah , Sure ,,,,,,,, The Lefties wish harassment was enough to get Trump to quit .

• Ann
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Why should he? He's done nothing wrong and even some Democrats have admitted that. You've been trying to impeach him since his second day as President. If he's in such serious trouble, why won't the House take an impeachment vote?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Trump is showing obvious signs of dementia. He can barely complete simple sentences and it's just getting worse. Like when Trump goes off the rails at his rallies and starts spouting gibberish. Trump will not be able to handle the pressure of running a re-election campaign and he will lose in 2020.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You  are having delusions

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.