In your opinion, should adoptees be included in family trees?

• Cousin

Yes because they are relevant and sometimes heralds actually matriculate versions of family coats-of-arms for them, the surname is carried on by them and their line sometimes marries with a cousin who has the blood descent, and also real estate and real property may be passed down to and inherited by them. They are relevant, and you can note that that line was adopted if you wish. Even noble titles have been passed down to adoptees, such as the Baron von Sebottendorf in Germany. When the line of Bouillon failed in the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem during the Crusades, the grandson of the great-aunt Ida of Geoffroi de Bouillon and his brother King Baudouin I was selected to be adopted into that royal line, and Eustache de Burg took the throne-name of Baudouin II. And that is a good example of how, very often, adoptees may be some sort of cousin or distant relative, often bearing some of the family's bloodline as well. Royal families have certainly played fast and loose with bloodlines and identity. Catherine the Great was married to Peter III but her son, later Tsar Paul Romanoff, was fathered by Count Saltykoff. To this day, the Romanoffs claim Peter III as their genealogical ancestor without turning a hair. And the same thing happened with the Protestant Hohenzollerns who ruled Prussia: Two royal Prussian brothers could not father their own children, so that Major von Schmettau fathered the children of BOTH of their wives, effectively changing the bloodline of BOTH branches of Brandenburg Hohenzollerns. If you want the original bloodstock of Hohenzollern, you have to go to the Romanian royal family, the Catholic Sigmaringen-Hohenzollerns. But the Kaiser in World War One never would have said he was the descendant of Major von Schmettau, and to this day the Protestant Brandenburg Hohenzollerns still officially trace their family tree to the same early ancestors as the Catholic Sigmaringen-Hohenzollerns, although it is no longer biologically true. 

In a informal family tree, yes. But if you are tracing genetic lineage then no, or if you feel guilty note the adoption. Just my opinion. This is how I do it and I love the adopted members of my family as much as the blood. 

No, it makes no sense biologically

• Quentin
      1 month agoReport

10% of non-adopted children don't know who their genetic father is because the mother had an affair!

Yes I think so.........

Yes they are a part of the family

Yes 100% I mean why shouldn’t they???

• Ozzie Klunk
      1 month agoReport

I am Ozzie Klunk and I did not down vote this response.

Yes because they are a part of the family

• Blearg

Absolutely. The assumption that not including adoptees will make a family tree "purer" or "more accurate" is based on a belief that people are always honest about blood ties. Judging by people that I know, this is just naive. I know people who only recently discovered that they have half siblings, that their dad started another family essentially. I know people who found out that people they thought were siblings were actually parents, that people they thought were parents were actually grandparents. Someone who was adopted who found out that their adoptive father was actually their biological father(he got their teen mom pregnant while still married to their future adoptive mom). 

My take? Write it all down. Log all of it. Put in those family friends who acted like uncles. Put in that woman your "spinster aunt" spent the last 30 years of her life with, even if they never claimed to be life partners. To me, geneology should be about HISTORY, not biology. I think that this information is where some of the coolest stories lie. 

• Sunday Crone
      1 month agoReport

Genealogical Research is a study of ancestry, or blood line .  Friends who were Aunt or Uncle are not included nor are other none related people unless it is a VERY informal charting. 

Of course. There are millions of bastards and products of illicit affairs who are included in family trees, so why not?

• Free Advice
      1 month agoReport

.

informal

an unpleasant or despicable person.

"he lied to me, the *******!"

Sounds like to me you are using Victorian values for people who were born the just like you and I-- we are no better than them.

Yes. They are part of the new family

Peace.