Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 month ago

Why don’t Japanese like people of color ?

Why don't Japanese like brown or black people? Why are Japanese so racist? 

Favorite Answer

Because Asians, especially Chinese and Japanese are obsessed with Whiteness. In some of those countries they bleach their skin.

Funny, many whites work hard to get a sun tan while in East Asia they are trying to be as much white as possible

• Bob
      1 month agoReport

I cannot speak for the Chinese but I can asssure you that the Japanese are not 'obsessed with whiteness'. I think that you are talking out of your backside.

Because you're a weirdo, most likely one of those Millennial weirdos that fetishize

s racism, and doesn't know anything about Japan

A film about the experiences of black people in Japan has been watched ... I feel like nobody's going to shoot me because of my skin colour," says Ayana. ... some of my students say they don't like Korea and China,"

• Ludwig

I don't think countries outside the USA do 'people of color'. Or 'Latinx'. They call themselves something else.

• Lili

Racism and ethnic bigotry are endemic in Asia, and the Japanese are particularly affected by them. They feel superior even to other Asians, such as Koreans. Many of them look down on both whites and blacks.  They don't necessarily distinguish between them; they're all just foreigners.

why they must like you ? Iam asian and I dont like you so what do u want ??

Japanese don't dislike people of color at all. They may feel some nervousness of being around someone quite different though. Of course, if they are near a US military base, where there are rowdy parties by the servicemen as well as higher crime rates and even multiple incidences of rape, that is one reason you won't find the Japanese so cheerful about the foreigners there.

And as far as racism goes, try being Black in the US Deep South - nothing in Japan compares to anything in Dixie. Japan has no cops shooting blacks for no reason at all, there is no "driving while Black", or a thousand other things. If you want a racist country, there is most likely far worse in your own. Oh, but you don't have to deal with it, and hence your boneheaded question.

• Ben

They don't have any specific problem with people of colour. Rather, they have a faint distrust of all foreigners, due primarily to living in a country which is 99% ethnic Japanese, and anyone who isn't East Asian (so black people, white people, people from central and southern Asia, Arabic peoples, and more besides) can very easily be recognised just by their skin skin colour and face shape as being foreign.

i think they like them, theyre not all like that

• zeno

Based on what if any evidence?

• Bob
      1 month agoReport

Based on nothing but his prejudices.