Im  confused with fafsa  can I just get grants and scholarships on the fafsa?

Ok im not asking if I can get a full ride if I dont qualify based on my need.

But on my need based aid can I just get grants and scholarships and not loans so I can graduate debt free?

Favorite Answer

FASFA gives you $5,650 every quarter it's for tuition and books if there's any money left over they have to give it to you but they make sure that there's hardly never a penny left over.

i dont see why not, i went to a community college just on grants for two yrs

You can work your way through school. 80% of American college students work at least 20 hrs/wk during the school year to help pay school and/or living expenses. Grants & scholarships alone are highly unlikely to cover all school expenses. You'd be lucky to cover tuition & fees, so how are you going to pay for books, equipment & supplies? What about room & board in dorm, or will you continue live at home with parents & commute (then you have commuting costs). Almost all financial aid packages include loans, perhaps Work-Study Program if you are not already working.

• Jim

FAFSA is for government loads. You can do whatever you want to pay for college, but grants and scholarships probably are not going to be enough.