Is there any way for us to turn off the internet completely? ?

Many people say any machine can be turned off. Pull the plug, they say. But if it became urgent to turn the whole internet completely off, could it be done? 

Favorite Answer

Hi. No, completely impossible.

The days when 2 college computers transferred data by typing in commands on a green text screen & amazed hundreds of computer programmers in the latest issue of the techie journals are LONG gone.

Today, every device from Your refrigerator or toaster can have an included WiFi or Bluetooth adapter that can be tapped into, hacked, & completely modified in what it does & how it does it.

The odds are strongly in favor of something connected being within 50 - 100 feet of You at all times, 24 hours / 7 days a week, especially if You live in an apartment or multi-unit building.

Just for reference, I live on a 125' long sidestreet, that has another 150' sidestreet connecting near the end of it.

Just on My actual street there are 75 satellite dishes -

all the houses are triple-decker condos.

Then there are the Ring doorbells, Echo / Alexa / Siri devices, all the huge Bluetooth TV sets, the streaming add-on devices for those TV sets that aren't "Smart TVs" out of the box originally, Apple watches / Fitbits, tablets & laptops, actual WiFi routers & modems (some not connected by satellite dish), & even phone-connected washers & dryers.

Something somewhere will always connect to something else, which can then reach something else, which can then reach 5 more devices, etc. ...

G'Luck!!!

No, in fact, the entire genesis of the ArpaNet was designed to automatically "heal" itself by finding new routes for each packet, if part of the network is congested or becomes non-functional.  Using that paradigm, the "internet" would not be "tuned off" but rather morphing into something new, to reconnect itself using whatever new channels can be found by clever engineers.

Use bombs. They will work 7 times out of 10.  Use them to destroy the internet entirely. I beleive in you brother.

No even if you disable major providers you can still make Local networks, you can make your own network. it's like trying to take down radio it's just something that exists 

Source(s): We are the love Doctors tonight

Yes find other things to do like have a threesome. It's all dark no electricity too, A guy would be giving me a doggy and I'll be fingering another lady, squeezing a little azz, sucking ti/ts passionately, take turns in different stuff.

In plug it the router 

No. To turn everyone's internet off world wide would likely take a major war of some type.

• Southpaw
      1 month agoReport

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/transformingsociety/parliament-and-the-first-world-war/legislation-and-acts-of-war/defence-of-the-realm-act-1914/
      And this is catered for in the Internet infrastructure of a country.

Jeffrey K, I think your questions are farfetched.

You CANNOT turn the internet completely off, so you will just have to accept it, and move on to something else that you have control over.

If YOU don't want to use the internet then you can always pull the plug. This will effect you, and only you. FYI... This is the kind of control you, and I have.

• Jeffrey K
      1 month agoReport

What if the internet gains superhuman intelligence and free will? Would it take over the world or could people stop it? This was my point of my question. 

• keerok

The internet is a worldwide network of computers and devices. To turn if off completely, you need to shutdown all computers (and other internet devices), cut off connection pathways (wires, cell-sites, communication satellites) or both.

Turn off your modem, or go into your operating system and set it to ignore the internet feed.

• Jeffrey K
      1 month agoReport

I meant to ask if the internet itself could be turned off worldwide?

just unplug it off your modem

• Jeffrey K
      1 month agoReport

I was asking if the whole internet worldwide could be turned off, if it became necessary?