SWBD asked in SportsHorse Racing · 1 month ago

How can female horses outrun the boys?

I just watched a Breeders Cup race where a filly won the race. I thought in all sports males are superior, how did this happen?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If I had to guess, I'd say it was because speed is the main defense horses have against predators. For tens of thousands of years, the animals that chased horses and their ancestors didn't select prey based on sex. Male and female were all fast food, so both sexes had to literally adapt at the same pace. Male horses are socially dominant, though. Of course, that's not always the case in nature either. Female hyenas are bigger and more dominant than their fathers and brothers. Female beavers are much larger, but don't dominate their mates. Female eagles, owls, and hawks are usually much bigger than their mates, but don't really push each other around either. Female rabbits dominate males during breeding season (she decides when she's ready!). Wolf packs can be ruled by a male, female, or both. And badgers are always big and mean and hate everyone, lol!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

ask portuguese women they are the female horses

• 1 month ago

Chivalry. Period. End of story. That's all folks.

• 1 month ago

what kind of sexist comment is this, they r male horses thank u very much.

horses in the back horses in the front

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

TACTICS play a part!!! Of course a good mare/filly could beat a good horse/colt. Given the right circumstances (track/jockey etc).

The top winning Enable twice beat Crystal Ocean and then Coronet, Ulysses and others (Males). If the mare/filly is good enough, she can outrun the boys.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

cause females can win too

• 1 month ago

It seems Males and females of most species are vastly different physically and anatomically, and we know this is so in the human species, as women and men are emotionally and psychologically different more than they are not. Same goes for horses/race horses, that's why competitions may offer classes open only to one sex of horse or another. Same as in horse racing, mares and fillies have their own races and only a small percentage compete against male horses. Generally, in the US, the sexes are raced separately. There are races for male horses and races for female horses. However, the female horses ARE allowed to race with the males if their owner chooses. The females are usually allowed to carry 5 less pounds than the males in this case. By the age of three the colts do have a bit of an edge over most fillies. The males are a little more muscled and bigger. Most owners of fillies won't choose to race their fillies against the colts because there is plenty of money and opportunities to race in the female races and it is basically easier for a filly to win against her own sex. As you mention, there are fillies that run against the boys and have competed successfully against males. For example; Zenyatta, she was the winner of the 2009 Breeders' Cup Classic and in 2009 Rachel Alexandra was the first filly to win the Preakness Stakes in 85 years, since 1924. She also won in the Haskell the same year. 

• 1 month ago

Males are superior. In races where there are both Males and females the female carries less weight.

Even Ruffian Carried 121 lbs to Foolish Pleasure`s 126 lbs in their famous match race.

• Kenny
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

She thought they were after her .

• 1 month ago

LOL!  I don't know.  When I was younger lots of girls could outrun me!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.