How can I fix a P1320 on a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS V6? ?

How can I fix a P1320 on a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS V6? It has 128,000 miles, I went to turn on my car this morning and it displayed a Service Engine Soon Light. Went to Autozone they pulled a P1320 Code "ASE certified master technicians have seen this issue on your type of vehicle and the most likely solution is: Replace Engine Control Module (ECM)" How much should a mechanic charge to fix this? Do any ECMs come with a lifetime warranty? I had a Mitsubishi Dealer Replace the ECM two years ago. 

Update:

After two days the Service Engine Soon Light has gone away. Should I not worry anymore? The light has gone off so does that mean it is not a serious problem? Could it have been a fluke glitch and now it has fixed itself therefore the light turned off? What would you do in my situation?

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

It's not the ECU. It's likely a bad coil on #5 cylinder.

I'd take it to the dealer.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • ...Show all comments
    • DE3 months agoReport

After two days the Service Engine Soon Light has gone away. Should I not worry anymore? The light has gone off so does that mean it is not a serious problem? Could it have been a fluke glitch and now it has fixed itself therefore the light turned off? What would you do in my situation?

• Login to reply the answers
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Autozone is in business to sell parts whether you actually need them or not. Take your car to a REAL mechanic and have it serviced properly.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Error code P1320 means there is a problem with the ignition coil or the wire to the ignition coil.

If you want to spend money on a new ecm then go for it. I'd be troubleshooting the ignition coil

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

A trouble code does not tell you exactly what is wrong and what needs to be repaired or replaced. It just indicates what systems are effected and more trouble-shooting should be done to identify the precise trouble. The suggested repair given by Autozone may or may not fix it. What's more, most electrical parts cannot be returned once they have been installed and no ECM's that I'm aware of come with lifetime warranties.  Therefore replacing the ECM without properly diagnosing the problem is risky and definitely costly if it doesn't fix the trouble. If you can't afford to have a shop perform a thorough diagnosis and you lack the required tools, skills and knowledge yourself, then you're playing a guessing game. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jay
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

you literally just answered your own question

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.