Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

I don't want to work black Friday?

Long story short I work at a big department store in the lingerie/pajama section and last year was my first time working the Black Friday shift (it was Thanksgiving night) 

I actually had off last year on that day but I felt bad because only one other co-worker was scheduled to work all night. So I willingly picked up a shift but instantly regretted it because it was insanity. There were customers running up to me swarming around me, sometimes literally 20 people at a time hovered around me yelling "ma'am please help me find this!" And I couldn't even breathe. And I would be helping someone and a ton of other people would storm up to me all yelling different things. 

So this year my manager went around asking everyone if they'd like to pick up a shift. I said most likely no but I'll think about. My boyfriend's family is having a dinner and I really wanted to go. This morning our schedules came out and luckily I was off. But now my manager is freaking out because the same thing happened where only one other person is on the schedule the whole night. There's not many people that work in my department and a lot of them have seniority so I feel like my manager is focusing on me and asking me more than anyone else. But I really don't want to go in that day, especially since the other lady gets there at 9 (they want me to work the opening 5pm til 1am. The opening is the worst shift, that's when it's the busiest and I'll be by myself)

Would I get in trouble if I just keep saying no?

• drip
    Favorite Answer

Well you made a big mistake by saying you would think about it.

You should of said sorry no, when the schedule showed I had the day off I made plans with family.

Now you have given him wiggle room to bug you about it. Probably no, means you don’t have firm plans.

Now you need to immediately inform your boss you can not work. You can say, when the schedule came out and I didn’t have to work that night my family made plans for us. I can not work

This is not your responsibility. The boss should of scheduled all the employees he needed. Whether they volunteered or not. Your boss put himself into the situation.

Stop saying I will think about it. Either say yes or no. If he is asking and you have plans, you say sorry no.

I have worked retail for years. Everyone works Black Friday. No one gets off. . Thanksgiving night was voluntary. But if no one volunteered, then Who ever got stuck with the shift had to work. Thank goodness the whole mall won’t be open at all on thanksgiving this year.

• Lita

You may not get into trouble but you may well lose the job. No one likes working black Friday but that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be done.

its because noone wanted to work it that they were shortstaffed, if people would work it you wouldnt have that problem

• JJ

You will be on the bad side of your manager if you continue to decline working on that day, and you may even be subjected to immediate job termination.

Volunteer to work the day that your manager requested, in exchange for a day off on another holiday (Christmas?).    

Source(s): I've worked in retail as an associate and manager
    • drip
      1 month agoReport

They are not scheduled to work. They are not saying they won’t show up for a scheduled shift. They will not be fired.

Why on earth did you say you'd "think about it" when it was the last thing you wanted to do?

You should have said something to the effect of "When I learned I wasn't scheduled for that day, I made other plans. These involve non-refundable travel. I'm sorry I can't help out."

I'm sure that's what the other employees said, which is exactly why your manager is focusing on you, with your wishy-washy "I'll think about it" response. 

I can't tell you what will happen if you keep saying no. They won't have cause to fire you since you aren't scheduled, but if you're in an "at-will" state they can fire you without cause. And they can always change the schedule and put you on it; it's nearly a month away. 

If it were me, I'd just keep saying "no." If they put me on the schedule I'd work the day, but I wouldn't volunteer to do so. 

• drip
      1 month agoReport

So no foul. You told them you could not work and they didn’t out you in the schedule. You are done

• John P

Sorry, no time to read your long spiel. But time off is between you and your boss, subject to general rules within the company. End of story. Find a job by next August which is not so needy of staff on Black Friday.

• audrey

I don't blame you. I think we should get at least double time and a half to work Black Friday.

If only one person is working maybe you ought to suggest keeping the store closed until Friday. Lots of stores are doing it now and refusing to start a black thursday tradition.

• g

If they need you and you refuse to work, you can lose a job is what you can do. That's one of the biggest retail dats if the year. I'm surprised it's even optional.

• Groovy_Unicorn
      1 month agoReport

If you're not on the schedule then they cant for you for not coming in.