How do I transfer data from a dead hard drive to a new hard drive?

I recently bought new parts and put together a new PC. I have a new SSD and  hard drive. I transferred the old drive and used it with my new PC, thinking there was a problem with something else. Turns out it’s the old hard drive. Every time I try to turn on the PC, it will have a blue screen error and do windows 10 recovery (no options recovered.) How would I go about transferring my files into my new hard drive? Do I have to take it to a tech store?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • VP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

If you're lucky, your old drive is just having Boot issues. If that's true, try this:

1. Remove your old drive.

2. Install Win 10 on your new SSD and make it your Boot drive.

3. Buy a device that allows you to connect your old drive as an external one using a USB cable. 

4. Boot up, then connect your old drive via USB. Access it via Windows and see if you can copy your old data files. 

• 4 weeks ago

You can buy a cable which can transfer from one hard drive to the other thanks Ian

If not then just see my live stream on you tube and leave a comment thanks again Ian .

• 1 month ago

If it is dead, you cannot access it, therfore you cannot copy off it. That takes proffesional equipment. However, taht can cost you hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The old drive was the problem? So the old PC works? Return the old hard disk to the old PC then boot it with Linux on a CD or USB flash drive. If it starts, try copying the old files to another USB flash drive. If that doesn't work then sorry, the old hard drive is dead.

As a last ditch effort, replace the electronic board of the old hard drive with a working one from the same exact model. If that still does not work then it's the heads or the platters already. At that point, it's a physical problem with no solution available.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

a hard disk manager program [boot from DVD] might be able to 'fix' the old hard drive ... try cnet.com's downloads for a free one

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.