How do I transfer data from a dead hard drive to a new hard drive?

I recently bought new parts and put together a new PC. I have a new SSD and  hard drive. I transferred the old drive and used it with my new PC, thinking there was a problem with something else. Turns out it’s the old hard drive. Every time I try to turn on the PC, it will have a blue screen error and do windows 10 recovery (no options recovered.) How would I go about transferring my files into my new hard drive? Do I have to take it to a tech store?

• VP
    Favorite Answer

If you're lucky, your old drive is just having Boot issues. If that's true, try this:

1. Remove your old drive.

2. Install Win 10 on your new SSD and make it your Boot drive.

3. Buy a device that allows you to connect your old drive as an external one using a USB cable. 

4. Boot up, then connect your old drive via USB. Access it via Windows and see if you can copy your old data files. 

You can buy a cable which can transfer from one hard drive to the other thanks Ian

If not then just see my live stream on you tube and leave a comment thanks again Ian .

If it is dead, you cannot access it, therfore you cannot copy off it. That takes proffesional equipment. However, taht can cost you hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

• keerok

The old drive was the problem? So the old PC works? Return the old hard disk to the old PC then boot it with Linux on a CD or USB flash drive. If it starts, try copying the old files to another USB flash drive. If that doesn't work then sorry, the old hard drive is dead.

As a last ditch effort, replace the electronic board of the old hard drive with a working one from the same exact model. If that still does not work then it's the heads or the platters already. At that point, it's a physical problem with no solution available.

a hard disk manager program [boot from DVD] might be able to 'fix' the old hard drive ... try cnet.com's downloads for a free one