Genius asked in SportsBasketball · 3 months ago

Did you know that Kobe is top 5 perimeter defender all-time?

9 defensive first team selections tied for the most

No defense in todays NBA

The All-Defensive team is a joke. Kobe or Lebron used to be chosen over Shane Battier, Bruce Bowen, Tayshaun Prince, Kenyon Martin. 

Kobe was often a tough defender in big games' fourth quarters but he wasn't an elite defender.  

• Bob

The voting for MVP is an even bigger joke, and to me the All Defensive team voting gets it right or closer to it than the MVP voting usually does.

• Bob

I don't see him as a top 5 perimeter defender, and he was never a lockdown defensive player.

• David

I think watching Kobe play is EXACTLY why Bob doesn't see him as either a top 5 perimeter defender, nor a lockdown defensive player.

• David

Defensive first team selections are seldom given based on skill, but more on reputation.  He could have had 20 first team selections, and it still wouldn't mean he's a top 5 defender.