Rachel asked in PetsBirds · 1 month ago

How many birds in my cage?

My cage is 32x21x26 inches. I have 1 cockatiel, and 1 parakeet at the moment. How many more parakeets could I put in this cage?

Alright, what about how many parakeets in a 48x26x12?

-Sigh- How many parakeets could happily live permanently in a 48" long, 26" high, 12" wide cage.

Actually that is size cage is good for one bird only, overcrowding will cause fights and death. I have my Cockatiels outdoors year round and I have 10 birds in an aviary that is 10 feet x 6 feet x 6 feet and that is barely large enough, they can fly around and get good exercise, one bird is 32 years old and the others are in their 20's. forget putting any more birds in that small cage.

Source(s): Breeding Cockatiels and Budgies for over 30 years.
  • patty

2 is enough. I have a gigantic cage for one budgie.

I have a cage twice that size for a single cockateil and only consider it large enogh as he spends hours each day with the door open. Cockatiels and parakeets should only share a cage if it is a large flight aviary (thing large enough to grow trees in). If the cockateil has a seperate cage at least that size and if all birds get to spend rime each day out of the cage,exercising, then 2 parakeets could share this cage.

Overcrowding is cruel.

Add: a 12inch wide cage would only be suitable for small birds or as a temporary cage. It is not wide enough to spread wings without damaging feathers. 18 inches should be minimum width.

• Rachel1 month agoReport

I don't have my parakeet in there at the moment, and after reading about safety with putting them together, I'm probably going to build her her own cage. They have lived together before without any problems, but I moved her into a different cage just for training purposes.

as long as they get along put as many as you have room for

• Rachel1 month agoReport

That's what I mean; how many do I have room for.

How many could you? Or how many should you. 

• Gary

Only put one per cage. It’s safer

Yes it is.............