Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 2 months ago

I Want to Be a Famous Actress or Fashion Blogger, My Mom Said I Can't. What Should I Do?

I am 23 years old. I have a college degree in marketing, but I sucked at my job out of college and HATE the idea of a 9-5.

I told my mom that I want to take acting classes and start a fashion blog.

My mom laughed and said that there are endless amounts of people who have already been doing acting and fashion blogs for years, and that I will never succeed.

What should I do? The idea of getting another 9-5 job disgusts me, I want a glamorous life, I want to impress audiences with my acting and my amazing outfits in a fashion blog.

Also I was fired from my first (marketing) 9-5 job out of college, so I have no job now. 

Why tell your mom anything? You're fully an adult. Move out and do what you want. When it doesn't work, because it won't, maybe she'll take you back in.

OK you are crrazzzy

@Lili, she's not a troll. She's just a pathetic, delusional, stupid and immature girl. You can tell by the fact that she thinks we don't know she's Rose from the comments and we knew from the very first comment. You can also tell by her "answers" to other people's questions, she sounds retarded: "no he can't okay okay".

And to Rose: I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but enough is enough. You're only making it more and more obvious that you're never going to be famous. You're not clever or smart enough. You're superficial and narcissist and as you said yourself "quite lazy and unmotivated". You believe being pretty means it'd be a waste working a regular job just like 99.99% of the universe, as if you're special or something. And so you're never going to work hard enough to get up there to begin with. The fact that you comment pretending to be someone else speaking for you says you as Cogito said "have insecurity issues and need constant reassurance". For your own mental health, accept that you're not right for any job in the entertainment world, let alone acting. Go ahead and reply to my comment, but do me a favor and at least confess that you're Rose, please... The level of stupidity coming from you is just too much. Have a nice and mentally-healthy day.

• Sure Lili. But so do the actual pathetic, delusional, stupid, and immature people. That's why you look at their questions/answers history, comments, username and their use, etc. These people actually do exist and they just need to see a psychologist.

• Lili

Something tells me you're a troll, dear. 

Even fashion bloggers have jobs, you might be interested to know, and I'm acquainted with several actors who worked at any jobs they could get while taking acting classes and then going on auditions. One of them is an Oscar winner.  I went to school with her and know that she worked damned hard while trying to get a break. She'd look at your post and laugh at it.

Grow up, dear. And by the way, you certainly don't write like a college graduate.

• Rose1 month agoReport

Okay, but this is just a simplified Yahoo question, says nothing about my real ability to write/blog. What do you work as? And I understand your point about getting a "real job with  a real salary", but the point is, I don't want an ordinary life. I want to know how to act/blog full time (glamour)

• John P

Your mother cannot dictate your life. You are an adult in the eyes of the law, and have been so for at least two years, more in several parts of the world.

Sorry, no time to read your very lengthy spiel, but if you are still living at home then obviously your mother (and father if he is around) has a large say over how you use the family home, but that should not stop you trying your best to make a go of your idea for life. Things have changed rapidly in the last 10 or 20 years, and, if you succeed, you could get a good life from blogging.

Your mother is probably worried about the uncertainty of a long career in acting or fashion blogging. Certainly both require a very outgoing but focussed mind, and the knowledge that both are fickle in the amount of income they can offer. Certainly neither is a "steady, lifelong job" which your mother might like you to have.

A little piece of advice - don't send very long spiels, people don't read them all.

Good luck in life!

The acting world needs people of all ages, but getting an early start is pretty important. The employment statistics for actors are awful - most successful actors had family money backing them up so they could afford to study, take classes, join local theater groups, and travel for gigs. It's a bit easier in Britain, where the world of acting is smaller, but in the USA the competition is wicked.

BTW, I need a marketer for my novels.

Success with fashion design is probably more realistic than success in acting, but I know less about that world. As for the glamor, it's very good to be grounded. It's OK to be ambitious, but expecting fame and success sets us up for serious disappointment and depression.

What's stopping you from creating a blog?

• Cogito

Okay – wanting fame is the worst possible reason for getting into acting. Real actors – people who have talent, intelligence and the right personalities to become professionals – aren’t even slightly interested in being famous. It’s a shallow, silly dream for naïve, rather superficial kids. 

If what you really want is to be looked at, to show off expensive clothes, to be glamorous, to be admired, you’re not living in the real world.Only try if you'd do it for free, even if you knew in advance that you’d never make any money or become ‘known’ - never because you crave praise and fame. People who want fame usually have insecurity issues and need constant reassurance - which is the last thing you'll get as an actor.You also seem to fail to understand that almost all actors have to work very long hours in a ‘9 to 5’ type of job alongside acting, just to afford their rent and bills – throughout their entire lives. Very, very few actors ever get more than about ten days’ paid acting work a year, and even that is a few odd days here and there, in small roles, in small productions at minimal rates of pay.Acting is 99% very hard work. You’d need great talent, years of training and unpaid stage experience, and then it’s a real struggle getting an agent, auditions and hopefully winning those auditions. Then it’s very early mornings and/or really late nights, learning thousands of lines, rehearsing, getting criticised non-stop – and all that while still working your day-job.I’m sorry, but you really don’t sound like you’re the sort of person who will ever have what it takes to be an actor. Maybe try it as a hobby, but honestly, it’s nothing like you imagine.

i would just prove her wrong, she cant stop you at your age

• In

So your goal in life is to be a prostitute on Sunset Strip? Girls with stars in their eyes always dream of going to Hollywood and becoming big stars, but soon find that the dream is just that. Haven't you seen Penny on "Big Bang Theory"?

• In

Penny had dreams of leaving Nebraska and going to Hollywood to become an actress. She ended up as a waitress at the Cheesecake Factory. Sunset Boulevard is commonly referred to as the "Boulevard of Broken Dreams".

• Greg

Live on your own, get a job to pay the bills, and do the blog on the side until it is all you need. In other words, act like an adult.

• Rose2 months agoReport

what about her acting career? should she take an acting class? how is taking acting classes and trying to start a blog not acting like an adult?