Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Should I Tell My Landlord That Our Neighbor Put Up A Camera?

We've lived here about eight months now. Our landlord just informed us that two occupants one apartment down from us are not supposed to be here because she was not informed at the time of the signing of the lease. Everyone who moves in here has to have a background check done, so these two (a young boy and girl) did not have that done. 

Yesterday, after trying to stir up trouble with us and the landlord and having the landlord get onto them about their many vehicles, they have put up a camera in their window. We live right in front of a busy highway and as long as we have lived here there has been no incidents of burglary or anything, so it's not for safety reasons. I'm pretty sure they want to record the landlord when she comes and goes, and to get her interactions with them on camera. 

I feel uncomfortable with it because these people obviously have a reason as to why they snuck in and didn't get a background check. I don't want them recording when I come and go, and learning my schedule. It's creepy and unnecessary. 

Should I inform my landlord they put up the camera? 

Update:

EDIT: The consensus seems to be that they have more rights than I do. Can someone explain that to me?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • martin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Speaking to the landlord about it would be the appropriate first step. If the camera isn't taken down, you might claim it's an invasion of privacy, unless for some reason it's considered necessary due to theft of illegal activities you don't know about yet.

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

it is not invasion of privacy  unless they are pointed at areas the other tenant has exclusive use of

• 1 month ago

I had to put up a camera in my stairwell because of repeated vandalization over and over again year after year around Halloween.  I put it on Facebook - a warning not to vandalize again - and my stupid hatedful insane neighbor vandalized my stairwell anyway - I caught her red handed and reported her to the management.  She had a fit and filed a phony restraining order on me so I have to go to court 3 times now fighting this insanity.  Her meth addict boyfriend has been stalking me for 4 years now on meth and actually assaulted me recently.  He disappeared for a week and then I saw the Sheriff pull up yesterday and the meth zombie was in the back in a white jump suit - I think white is the psycho ward in the Jail!!  LOL

• 1 month ago

Absolutely, inform the landlord, and tell him they are recording your comings and goings too and you don't want to be burglarized.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

wouldn't hurt.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

< EDIT: The consensus seems to be that they have more rights than I do. Can someone explain that to me? >

No, they don't.  But your concerns with their camera doesn't cancel their right to have it.  I can stand on a public sidewalk, film your house and it's perfectly legal.  I can't come on your property and do it but from a public area, filming or taking pictures is protected by the First Amendment.

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

HEY ACE, 1st amendment says the GOVT can't restrict speech, and recording a private home could be a form of harassment depending on how it is done.

• 1 month ago

The truth is that you don't know why the camera was installed and now a days it's pretty common. You could inform your landlord, because it is possible they did so without asking the landlord's permission, but if they did, you making the report would make you look vindictive and quite frankly … silly.

As for how the camera makes you feel … Sorry, but that is of no consequence as it will record only what is in the public domain and you are not entitled to privacy in the public domain. I bet there a dozens of camera's elsewhere recording you in public too so if you are going to be paranoid, you now have reason to be 10 time more paranoid now, knowing all of this.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If it is not a fixed to the wall camera and just placed on the window ledge and pointing to a public area then nothing can be done about it by anyone.....

• 1 month ago

They can put up a camera all they want, tell away.

• Can you explain why they can put one up? I'm legitimately trying to understand since I do not know the laws. 

• 1 month ago

you're free to say something, but nothing can be done about it unless it is physically attached to a wall causing damage

• Lolly
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The landlord could be liable, so they would probably want to know. Sounds like a lot of Nosy Nellies at your property!

• Lolly
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I wouldn't want a camera on me either.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would tell your landlord about it

• I'm just concerned that it may stir up trouble with that young boy and girl (who live with her father). We still have a few months left on our lease and I don't want any problems while we're still here.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.