Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 9 months ago

How do I prepare for my first driving lesson?

I am 18 years old. I just got my permit to drive. Since I am 18 I don't need to take the Graduated Driver Licensing program that teenagers under 18 need to take.

I just booked a private lesson with a driving instructor for next week.

I have never been behind the wheel of a car before, so I am nervous. I don't really know what to expect.

I want to learn how to drive and earn my license so I can be an independent adult.

What is the first lesson like? Is learning how to drive difficult?

Favorite Answer

You really don't have to prepare. The driving lessons will prepare you, which is why people do them.

The key is to find a good driving instructor, because not all instructors are good. A good driving instructor can take a student (at any age) who has never touched a steering wheel before and turn them into a competent driver within a matter of days. Don't worry if you have no idea what to do, your instructor can deal with it. Even if you freeze up while driving, you'll be okay. Driving instructors can literally take over and drive the vehicle while sitting in the passenger seat beside you. In most jurisdictions, they actually have to prove they can do that in order to be certified as driving instructors.

Controlling a vehicle is very easy. The hard part is not crashing, and a good instructor will teach you how to do that too. A good driving instructor has the patience of a saint, the technical skills of a Samurai and balls of solid steel.

Make sure you have your permit.  Get a good night's sleep and be ready to learn.

• JetDoc

Before you even start to get behind the wheel of an automobile, you'll need to study and test for an instruction permit (learner's permit) that allows you to drive on public streets with an instructor in the vehicle with you. Your age doesn't matter. You'll STILL need the permit before you can drive.

• Scott

No, learning to drive is not difficult for most people.